Do I hear the Shepherd's Voice?

debsuth

Do I hear the Shepherd’s voice? And if I do, do I follow Him? I asked myself these questions when I was studying John 10. Christ said, “I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.” He tells us we will hear his voice because we will know Him. If we took a step back and honestly asked ourselves how well we knew Jesus, could we answer positively? It is something I have often wondered. So while I hear His voice through promptings, scriptures, prayer, and music, do I genuinely hear and listen?

The Jews were stubborn in their ways, and they would not adapt their thinking to believe in Christ. They saw Him perform miracles, testify of His divinity, yet they could not see. There may be things in our lives that will affect our ability to believe Christ and follow Him. Do we honestly see and understand Him for who He is in our lives? Let me share a story that may help to clarify.

Since it is Valentine’s Day, let’s talk about chocolates. I wanted to find the perfect box for each of my children so that they could have a gift from my husband and me. I looked at every one on the aisle, and while some were good, they weren’t right. Others were fancy, but not the thing I was looking for. I kept looking on and changed my direction a few times, and finally came to the last aisle. I was still searching and asking myself if that chocolate gift was right. Somehow I just couldn’t decide on one. As far-fetched as it sounds, I found the perfect box at the end of the last row. It was just the right size, price, look and the chocolates inside I knew would be delicious. Each chocolate was separate and gave my children choices of what they might have; I knew they would love them!

As silly as this sounds, I was patient in this story and, I wasn’t giving up. I did not settle for the mediocre candy that looks good but tastes cheap on the inside. I was seeking, searching and waiting until I found them. In my mind, I had the idea I wouldn’t buy any if I couldn’t find a decently good gift, it wouldn’t be worth it. Isn’t this how we seek the Savior, always owing to our conscience to keep waiting and watching? We would never settle for any common or ordinary thing in life to satisfy our profound demands for acceptance and love from our Savior. So we watch and wait, always seeking and asking for Him in our lives. We will all be rewarded at the end if we hold out faithful to the end.

Endurance is the most significant test of our time. There are so many distractions and false gods that we have to hold true to our testimony and belief in Jesus Christ. We keep seeking and listening for His voice. He is there, waiting for us. But we also need to be tested for our valiancy to Him.

I will always be grateful to Him in my life, although, I have a long way to becoming what He needs me to be, I am seeking, asking and waiting.

As a missionary, when I realized this principle, it changed my entire perspective. No longer was I trying to market the gospel door-to-door. Not at all. Not in any sense. I was searching for brothers and sisters, those who, like me, hear (or strive to hear) the Master's voice. Missionary work became a collection, a gathering in, not an effort to present a product for consumption. It was truly a labor of brotherly love, looking to bring the family together.

17 hours ago, Vort said:

As a missionary, when I realized this principle, it changed my entire perspective. No longer was I trying to market the gospel door-to-door. Not at all. Not in any sense. I was searching for brothers and sisters, those who, like me, hear (or strive to hear) the Master's voice. Missionary work became a collection, a gathering in, not an effort to present a product for consumption. It was truly a labor of brotherly love, looking to bring the family together.

Brilliant! ?