Not enough callings

Fether

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

If you need a calling to be a decent and helpful person, that's not really a good sign. Seems very superficial to me. 

We have a couple that have been innactive for a long time, recently got married and are trying to get back into it. They haven’t been to church in a long time and are unsure about how to go about it... forgive them if they are apprehensive about reaching out to people that they don’t know to serve. 

A calling is a fantastic way to get them involved in a way that is comfortable and structured.

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

If you need a calling to be a decent and helpful person, that's not really a good sign. Seems very superficial to me. 

I could understand this for an every day Mormon raised in the church but for those coming back to activity, and those who are new, a calling can really be a boost to their spiritual development.  Even as a lifelong member I would never have become the person I am without opportunities to serve and that mostly started as a missionary.   What are callings for other than to have order in our service and opportunities to grow.  Yes, you can do without but if it was a free for all can you imagine the things that wouldn't get done in this work. 

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, e-eye said:

I could understand this for an every day Mormon raised in the church but for those coming back to activity, and those who are new, a calling can really be a boost to their spiritual development.  Even as a lifelong member I would never have become the person I am without opportunities to serve and that mostly started as a missionary.   What are callings for other than to have order in our service and opportunities to grow.  Yes, you can do without but if it was a free for all can you imagine the things that wouldn't get done in this work. 

7 minutes ago, Fether said:

We have a couple that have been innactive for a long time, recently got married and are trying to get back into it. They haven’t been to church in a long time and are unsure about how to go about it... forgive them if they are apprehensive about reaching out to people that they don’t know to serve. 

A calling is a fantastic way to get them involved in a way that is comfortable and structured.

We should all be happy that the church gives us official things to do. If you've been inactive or are a convert-a calling is a wonderful way to begin to learn more about the church and find your role in it.

But if you are just going though the motions and only home teaching because it's your calling-that is a problem. The members aren't stupid. They can tell when someone is there just to hit a quota or when someone takes a genuine interest in how their lives are.  Who are you more likely to open up to-the guy who ignores you because he is no longer your home teacher or the guy who isn't your home teacher but actually cares about how you are doing? 

8 minutes ago, NightSG said:

What are you, some kind of Methodist?

Our culture in 2018 states that you can't joke around about any religion without being accused of being bigoted, so I'll private message you my response.