Another argumentum ad urbem about Weenieville (aka Seattle)

Vort

When Morris found out that she had mistaken the flags, she pointed to the current political climate as a possible reason for her mix-up.

“Maybe that’s the story,” she told the Seattle Times. “We’re so stressed by all things political that we see things that aren’t there.”

I think I know what the real story should be......

I honestly could not stop laughing when I heard this story. It's too bad there isn't some sort of instrument or tool you could use to find out information instantly that would have solved this woman's problem without demonstrating her ignorance. Maybe something with a fun name like "Google"? Oh well we can always dream?.

Edited by Midwest LDS

It's funny the way the Battle Flag of Virginia (otherwise known as the Confederate Flag these days) has gotten the reputation it has.  It's message has changed to a degree.

Yes, I suppose, even back in the day it was partly due to the rebellious spirit of the South, but it also showed pride.  By waving the flag it showed that though defeated, the South was still proud of it's ancestors and it's history.  That though beaten, they still felt they were equals with the North.  It sprang out of those who felt that the North tried to shame those who were from the South to being ashamed of being born in the South and growing up in the South.  Instead of bowing to this shame, they felt they needed to show that they were proud of where they grew up.  Thus, it was a symbol of Southern pride, to say that one need not be ashamed of growing up Southern. 

It was utilized as a racist symbol by some (especially the KKK), but it was also used by a LOT more than simply those that were racist.  It was a symbol of rebelliousness, but not that of rebelling against a nation, but that of rebelling against being shamed for simply existing.  Thus the flag was used by a LOT of people in the South who had no racist agenda or belief, but rather to show that they could gather under this banner to show that they were NOT ashamed of existing.  That they were proud to be Southern. 

Today, it seems most of that is forgotten and instead it is seen as a symbol of racism.  I acknowledge that due to the usage of some racist groups, this is a picture that has grown around the flag in stronger and stronger association.  It is unfortunate though that the rest of the reasons of why this particular flag got so popular among those in the South and from the South have forgotten why this was.

My cousins were proud of their Southern heritage and had this flag flying at their home at times.  I do not see them as being racist, but they were proud of that they were part of the South.  Of course, this was many decades ago and life has changed, but it seems perceptions surrounding this flag has also changed tremendously from when they and I were younger.

As it has developed today, I can understand why many are offended by it being flown.  I can also see why many perceive it as a symbol of racism and hatred.  I understand why such changes to state flags and other arenas have been done, and why it should not be flown anymore, but I find it a little regrettable that some of the other reasons people had for flying it years ago seem to have been forgotten.

I think it is the difference that we see with Gone with the Wind.  One of my mother's favorite movies was Gone with the Wind.  When she watched it, it wasn't about the racist ideas that many see in it today, but about the idea of persevering and the realization of the Southern character in finding out what was important in life, and the things you deal with.  Many today, when looking at Gone with the Wind only see racism and false identity. 

It's a difference of generations and the passing of time I suppose in the perceptions of the past and how that past is reflected upon our present.

On 2/24/2018 at 7:37 PM, Vort said:

Dude.  I think you still have a long ways to go to beat Justin "peoplekind" Trudeau.

I have pondered, from time to time, what would have become of the United States of America had they not ignored the wrongs of Missouri and allowed the “Mormons” to eventually be driven from the country.  What is so interesting to me is that, despite history and with some rare exception, very few Latter-day Saints care much about the confederate flag – one way or the other.

The Traveler

Apparently my big dog was ahead of his time - he thought of himself as "a people".  He would sit up on the couch just like a people (even reclining against the back).  He preferred to ride in the front seat of the car, just like a people.  (He would only curl up like a dog when he slept - otherwise, he was very people-like.)  Of course, I'm translating his thoughts into English, but "people" is the most correct translation of said thoughts.  Not sure why he considered himself "a people" instead of "a man" or "a guy", but there you have it.

(Little dog seemed to think of herself as smarter than people, and of people as creatures which needed to be herded, not unlike sheep.)