The Fate of the Feminist Movement by Euripides

9 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

But that answers your question about why I claim the lable of Mormon Feminism....because I need Relief Society AND Femisnism to fill different but related roles in my life.

I think that 'you', LP, do a great job sticking up and advocating for sexual abuse survivors... you have been successful at this since we first met. I believe you alone have this drive in you, and that it is not the result of feminism. My concern lay in the prolonged association with groups (like feminist) outside of the gospel, and even sometimes inside the Church too.

Inside the Church, for example: If I went to church and each lesson was about the Signs of the Times and I was continually surrounding myself with other members who devoted large portions of time and effort reflecting upon and engaging in the end of the world as we know it - over time that person becomes hyper/over sensitive to the subject matter. Regrettably they begin to see "signs" everywhere and their perception becomes distorted at times. They become consumed with a subject matter that may at first seemed noble in nature, but over time and with enough prolonged exposure to it actually becomes a consuming hindrance to them.

17 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

I often view these groups as people who both intentionally and unintentionally flame the fire for each other to harbor unnecessary or disproportionate resentment, anger and frustration.

Also harboring unnecessary & disproportionate concern, worry and even paranoia that a problem, which may exist, is even bigger and more systematically widespread than it really is since the subject matter is so deeply entrenched into their personal lives.

I don't want to beat down anything that you find positive, that is not my goal. It is simply a concern of mine. I love you for personally having helped my wife and I with sexual abuse and will never forget you extending yourself to do that. In the end, I believe that you as a daughter of God have personally been blessed with that capacity, I simply don't attribute your success to the label of feminism.

As always best wishes @LiterateParakeet!

Edited by NeedleinA

On 4/4/2018 at 3:23 PM, Carborendum said:

If feminism has its way, nothing but tragedy.

I was just telling @LiterateParakeet about Jordan B. Peterson, so your statement reminds me of this part of the interview he gave recently in Australia.  Australia, like most of the West is plagued with 3rd Wave Feminists constantly undermining Men.  Mind you, only a small percentage of women (was it 7% in Australia?) identify as feminists these days because of the damage 3rd Wave Feminists who are very loud especially in Universities are inflicting.

Anyway, Jordan Peterson tries to be a bullwark against this thing... I'm not too familiar with Euripides so I don't know if he has an archetypical figure that represents the role of people like Peterson.

Guest LiterateParakeet

A quote from Gospel Doctrine today:  

"In Genesis 35:22, Bilhah, one of Rachel’s handmaids, is referred to as Jacob’s concubine. Elder Bruce R. McConkie provided the following explanation of the use of the term concubine in the Old Testament:
                    “All down through the history of God’s dealings with his people, including those with the house of Israel, concubines were legal wives married to their husbands in the new and everlasting covenant of marriage. … Anciently they were considered to be secondary wives, that is, wives who did not have the same standing in the caste system then prevailing as did those wives who were not called concubines” (Mormon Doctrine, 2nd ed. [1966], 154

SECONDARY???  Oh my stars.....

Guest LiterateParakeet
1 hour ago, Vort said:

The point is that concubines were not mistresses or "kept women". They were wives. Their children were legitimate. It was not a system of legitimized philandering.

Thanks, Vort. I appreciate that explanation. Honestly it still bothers me on so mnay levels, but I have to trust the Lord's plans. 

Ironically, after church my son was set apart as a Priest, and as the men circled around him...my heart filled with love for Priesthood ordinances.  Elder Holland said when you have questions and things you don't know, hold on to those things you DO know. So that's what I will do. 

52 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Thanks, Vort. I appreciate that explanation. Honestly it still bothers me on so mnay levels, but I have to trust the Lord's plans. 

You'll note that when the Lord restored plural marriage, he did not restore concubines - I suspect this was more a cultural thing and that as far as the covenant was concerned, each subsequent wife was, a subsequent wife.  Other than "the law of Sarah" - where the first wife (all prior wives?) gets a say in future wives, there doesn't appear to be any caste system in the plural marriage restored by Joseph Smith...  FWIW.

Guest LiterateParakeet
22 hours ago, zil said:

You'll note that when the Lord restored plural marriage, he did not restore concubines - I suspect this was more a cultural thing and that as far as the covenant was concerned, each subsequent wife was, a subsequent wife.  Other than "the law of Sarah" - where the first wife (all prior wives?) gets a say in future wives, there doesn't appear to be any caste system in the plural marriage restored by Joseph Smith...  FWIW.

Good point, thank goodness the concubine bit was not restored.  Yes, maybe it was a cultural thing.  My husband said something along those lines, that perhaps the concubines were happy to do it because it gave them better financial prospects and better opportunities for their children.  Which in turn reminded me an anthropologist might remind me not to be so ethnocentric.  Thanks zil!