The Atlantic: Mormons' Weekly Family Ritual is an Antidote to Fast Paced Living

Guest LiterateParakeet

Guest LiterateParakeet

Every now and then, when you are on Facebook, instead of doing homework, you get rewarded...or maybe directed back to homework? I love the work of Dr. John Gottman, so I follow his page The Gottman Institute, and today they shared this article from The Atlantic about our Family Home Evenings.  Wow, I didn't expect that.   Cool article...and yes, a strong reminder to get back to my homework  (because my major is Marriage and Family....) 

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2018/03/mormon-family-home-evening/556658/

Guest LiterateParakeet
1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

@LiterateParakeet. Homework? Homework! Come on! Tell us! What are you taking? Enquiringly minds want to know! 

LOL!  Thanks for asking.  I'm just finishing Winter Semester and I'm taking Family Theories, Sociology of the Family, Doctrines of the Restoration and Art Design.  

I love learning about marriage and families.  I love sociology. And I love art!  It's been a great semester, but four classes is basically one to many for my schedule...three gives a better balance....so I'm ready to close the door on this semester even though I have loved what I learned.  

Guest LiterateParakeet
Just now, Just_A_Guy said:

I love that the Atlantic picked this up; but my enthusiasm is a little tempered by the fact that the authors were two BYU professors. ;) 

I briefly shared your reaction, so I understand.  But then I switched to....look at the great work these two professors are doing to advocate for families, not just preaching to the choir, but getting their message out to the rest of the world.  Very cool.  And then The Gottman Institute page picked it up so more non-members are seeing it.  That is just good all around. 

1 hour ago, LiterateParakeet said:

LOL!  Thanks for asking.  I'm just finishing Winter Semester and I'm taking Family Theories, Sociology of the Family, Doctrines of the Restoration and Art Design.  

I love learning about marriage and families.  I love sociology. And I love art!  It's been a great semester, but four classes is basically one to many for my schedule...three gives a better balance....so I'm ready to close the door on this semester even though I have loved what I learned.  

I share your interests. Just out of curiosity, what type of art do you dabble in most.?

And, have you heard of Dr. Jordan B Peterson?:

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Guest LiterateParakeet
On 4/4/2018 at 1:39 PM, wenglund said:

I share your interests. Just out of curiosity, what type of art do you dabble in most.?

And, have you heard of Dr. Jordan B Peterson?

I like drawing, in a whimsical/cartoon style and watercolor painting....which of course I stink at because watercolor is a beast, LOL.  How about you?  

I haven't heard of Dr. Peterson, but I'll  look him up.  :)  

2 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I like drawing, in a whimsical/cartoon style and watercolor painting....which of course I stink at because watercolor is a beast, LOL.  How about you?  

I haven't heard of Dr. Peterson, but I'll  look him up.  :)  

Don't just do a search on him.  He is pretty vilified by a lot of folks - especially by the left wing side.

I love his Bible series - he's not a believer in the traditional sense.  Rather, he dissects the Bible for its sociological/psychological meaning until he got left with no other choice but to believe there is a God.  Another one I love is his lecture series on Men and Responsibility.