Worried :(

VioletGrace

I was recently baptized into the LDS Church and am so grateful and blessed to have found and to be part of the true church, restored. I have followed the covenants and commandments since my baptism, and a couple of weeks beforehand as well. However, something felt "off" physically to me and only last week (~2 weeks after my baptism), I found out that I'm pregnant. The "start" of the pregnancy happened before I really started reading the Book of Mormon and several weeks before being baptized. However I am so ashamed and worried what the brothers and sisters of the church will think of me, especially since I am not married...even though this happened before my baptism. I feel like I've already failed and I have no idea if or who I should tell or what I should do exactly.  I am an adult but I am still shocked and confused about this situation. Any advice will be very welcomed. 

Practical answer: Some Mormons will be wonderful about the news, you will probably encounter some awkwardness, and at least one rude jerk.  People's reactions here will say a lot about them.  Consider this subject as a good way to see into someone's soul through their reaction. 

Please forgive the ones who fall short of the commandment to love thy neighbor.  

Edited by NeuroTypical

Guest MormonGator

Don't worry about a thing.  If anyone says a rude or insulting comment, I apologize to you right now for it. Shame on them. 

God bless you my dearest sister. 

I'd just be frank, open, and without guile concerning the matter. I'd tell everyone (not like it can be hidden anyhow), point out how it was before baptismal covenants, and smile pleasantly through it. And, as @pam suggests, talk to your bishop for counsel, etc.

I definitely wouldn't be ashamed.

If you feel a little uncertain or nervous about talking with your BIshop, if "your" missionaries are still nearby, perhaps talk to them first. They don't have stewardship over you but they probably know you better than your Bishop does, and you probably already have a good trusting relationship in place with them. Once you are feeling more comfortable and confident, then its time to talk with your Bishop.

@VioletGrace Congratulations times two!  :bouncingclap:

If conception happened before baptism, you have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.  One of the blessings of baptism (and subsequently partaking of the sacrament) is forgiveness for sins we are repentant of, and it seems like you are.

Being worried about the reactions of other church members is very understandable, but hopefully those who welcome and love you outnumber those who judge you.  Talking with your bishop, he may be able to connect you with some of the more supportive sisters.  There may even be someone in your own ward who was pregnant outside of marriage or had a daughter who was, and you just don't know it.

Feel free to come back and ask us anything or vent, or whatever.  Good luck and God bless!

I'm sorry you are in a tough situation, but there is nothing to be ashamed of. You repented of your sins and were washed clean in the waters of baptism. Remember D&C 58:42

"42 Behold, he who has arepented of his bsins, the same is cforgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more"

As others have said talk to your Bishop. Also, consider talking to your Relief Society President as well. Both of them should have access too resources that will help you through your coming pregnancy. Don't worry what anyone else might say, you have started on the path the Lord has set for you and His opinion of you is all that matters. God be with you Sister.