Missionary Numbers - stats, ugh.

NeedleinA

10 minutes ago, wenglund said:

Actually, there is at least one sect that has the fundamental belief that: 

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Thank-you Sir.

i did not mean my statement to infer that all sects do not espouse freedom of religion.  i'd say that along with the belief that they are correct, most sects of Christianity also believe there should be freedom of religion also.

But anyways, i could have been clearer there.  "undeniably" was a poor word choice on my part - and i am indebted to you for the correction.

21 minutes ago, lostinwater said:

But anyways, i could have been clearer there.  "undeniably" was a poor word choice on my part - and i am indebted to you for the correction.

If there is any possible way a post may be misunderstood, someone here will surely misunderstand it. 

Guest MormonGator
Just now, BJ64 said:

If there is any possible way a post may be misunderstood, someone here will surely misunderstand it. 

That happens all the time on the internet. Usually, if you (generic) are being "misunderstood" frequently it's because you (again, generic usage of the word, not you meaning @BJ64) can't communicate very well. 

24 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

That happens all the time on the internet. Usually, if you (generic) are being "misunderstood" frequently it's because you (again, generic usage of the word, not you meaning @BJ64) can't communicate very well. 

I could spend two hours on writing a post then have my bishop, stake president and lawyer review it and there are those here who would still misunderstand it. However misunderstanding is on the part of the reader and does not imply a error on the part the writer. 

Edited by BJ64

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, BJ64 said:

However misunderstanding is on the part of the reader and does not imply a error by the writer. 

On the contrary, if you keep getting misunderstood it usually means you can't communicate well. It's like the girl who complains all the time about how drama filled her life is but can't understand that she's the one who creates it. 

No one wants to admit they are part of the problem with communication. We want to blame everyone else but ourselves. I see it all the time, especially online. 

Edited by MormonGator

45 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

On the contrary, if you keep getting misunderstood it usually means you can't communicate well. It's like the girl who complains all the time about how drama filled her life is but can't understand that she's the one who creates it. 

No one wants to admit they are part of the problem with communication. We want to blame everyone else but ourselves. I see it all the time, especially online. 

Then you have people who post, 

“what’s more troubling maybe is that they don’t blindly trust authority anymore.”

Then when asked if they are advocating blind trust they reply, “Nope”

That first statement could not be more clear yet the poster seems to deny saying it. 

Isaiah is often misunderstood yet I doubt the problem is poor communication skills on his part.  

Edited by BJ64

2 hours ago, lostinwater said:

Thank-you Sir.

i did not mean my statement to infer that all sects do not espouse freedom of religion.  i'd say that along with the belief that they are correct, most sects of Christianity also believe there should be freedom of religion also.

You are very welcome,

However, I posted the 11th Article of Faith, not to make the point about freedom of religion (evidently @BJ64, was right about being misunderstood on this board) but that our religion respects that people believe differently than we do, thus suggesting we aren't entirely closed-minded about our belief.  

The 13th Article of Faith takes this even further by stating that we seek after anything that is virtuous or lovely or of good report or praiseworthy. We are instructed to "seek ye out of the best books" (D&C 88:118 )

As Elder Uchtdorf noted:

We seek for truth wherever we may find it. The ProphetJoseph Smith taught that “Mormonism is truth. … The first and fundamental principle of our holy religion is, that we believe that we have a right to embrace all, and every item of truth, without limitation or … being … prohibited by the creeds or superstitious notions of men.”20  (What is Truth)

Thanks,, -Wade Englund-

Edited by wenglund

Guest MormonGator
43 minutes ago, BJ64 said:

Then you have people who post, 

“what’s more troubling maybe is that they don’t blindly trust authority anymore.”

Then when asked if they are advocating blind trust they reply, “Nope”

That first statement could not be more clear yet the poster seems to deny saying it. 

Isaiah is often misunderstood yet I doubt the problem is poor communication skills on his part.  

Relax. Never said I wasn't guilty of it either. Like I mentioned though (several times) if someone is always complaining that they are being misquoted, they are the problem. I never complained about it and even if I did, I don't complain about it all the time. So chill. 

And by the way, just pointing out that someone is also "guilty" of something doesn't mean that you are in the clear. 

Edited by MormonGator

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

Relax. Never said I wasn't guilty of it either. Like I mentioned though (several times) if someone is always complaining that they are being misquoted, they are the problem. I never complained about it and even if I did, I don't complain about it all the time. So chill. 

And by the way, just pointing out that someone is also "guilty" of something doesn't mean that you are in the clear. 

Evidently, you believe @BJ64 misunderstood you. Do you suppose he had himself in mind when he said: "If there is any possible way a post may be misunderstood, someone here will surely misunderstand it.?" ;)

Thanks, -Wade Enlgund-

1 hour ago, wenglund said:

However, I posted the 11th Article of Faith, not to make the point about freedom of religion (evidently @BJ64, was right about being misunderstood on this board) but that our religion respects that people believe differently than we do, thus suggesting we aren't entirely closed-minded about our belief.  

Thank-you. 

That makes more sense.  

To an extent, i guess we all build tall, electrified fences around the non-negotiable land of our belief system.  An awful lot of arguing goes on though about what exactly that non-negotiable part should be.

• pam unfeatured this topic
On 5/7/2018 at 11:19 AM, BJ64 said:

On 5/7/2018 at 11:44 AM, MormonGator said:

@BJ64 Just blame @MormonGator. One important rule to remember for the rest of your life is that everything is always @MormonGator's fault. In fact, that's the first thing, and maybe even the only thing you should say if you are ever questioned by the police - "it's@MormonGator's fault."

5 hours ago, askandanswer said:

@BJ64 Just blame @MormonGator. One important rule to remember for the rest of your life is that everything is always @MormonGator's fault. In fact, that's the first thing, and maybe even the only thing you should say if you are ever questioned by the police - "it's@MormonGator's fault."

I concur.  I blame him for Noah's flood and the fall of Adam and the priesthood ban and the deer that ate my newly planted blackberry bush.

41 minutes ago, zil said:

Dude.  You can't blame him for that.  If you were a deer, wouldn't you eat a newly planted blackberry bush?

Hush!  This is an MG-bashing fest. Don't slow us down with your arietes-empathic compassion for the husband of the compound's mistress.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Hush!  This is an MG-bashing fest. Don't slow us down with your arietes-empathic compassion for the husband of the compound's mistress.

What are you, @Just_A_Guy's sock puppet?

[later, after much googling] Nope, can't be.  When JAG uses words I don't know, googling tells me what they mean.  I still have no earthly clue what "arietes-empathic" means.

Just now, zil said:

What are you, @Just_A_Guy's sock puppet?

[later, after much googling] Nope, can't be.  When JAG uses words I don't know, googling tells me what they mean.  I still have no earthly clue what "arietes-empathic" means.

LOL!

Arietes is the Latin for deer.  Your most recent post invoked empathy for how a deer would feel.

JAG's sock puppet.  Well, I do wish I made a lawyer's salary.  And he's not such a bad guy.  He just needs to change his mind about homeschooling. :D

2 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Arietes is the Latin for deer.

Apparently it's also Spanish for "battering rams".

And according to google translate, it's Latin for "sheep".

The court rules in favor of zil's confusion. :P

4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Your most recent post invoked empathy for how a deer would feel.

Empathy, schmempathy.  Deer + access to blackberry bush = deer eating blackberry bush.  Pure logic going on there, Counselor Troi.

2 minutes ago, zil said:

And according to google translate, it's Latin for "sheep".

Until I invert the languages and ask it to translate "deer" into Latin, then suddenly it's "arietes". :rolleyes:  Click the invert button and it's back to sheep. :rolleyes::rolleyes:  Click the invert button again and "sheep" is "ovium". :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by zil

5 hours ago, zil said:

Dude.  You can't blame him for that.  If you were a deer, wouldn't you eat a newly planted blackberry bush?

Of course you can. Have you already forgotten the first rule:

13 hours ago, askandanswer said:

One important rule to remember for the rest of your life is that everything is always @MormonGator's fault. In fact, that's the first thing,

If you ever come across something about which you think you can't blame gator, you just have to try a little harder.