Garments

Grunt

Sorry for another garment discussion.  I didn’t see a clear answer when I searched, but that may just be due to searching on a cell phone.  

Why do some Mormons wear garments and others don’t?   Is it a bad thing to not wear them?  Are there clear directions given when they should or shouldn’t be worn (exercise, swimming, KISS concerts, etc)?

Sometimes I wish we had a “members only” section in case I ask something inappropriate.  

19 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Sorry for another garment discussion.  I didn’t see a clear answer when I searched, but that may just be due to searching on a cell phone.  

Why do some Mormons wear garments and others don’t?   Is it a bad thing to not wear them?  Are there clear directions given when they should or shouldn’t be worn (exercise, swimming, KISS concerts, etc)?

Sometimes I wish we had a “members only” section in case I ask something inappropriate.  

You receive them when you take out your endowments in the temple.  This usually happens for adult converts one year after baptism.  One is not supposed to wear them prior to the endowment because it is supposed to be a reminder of your temple covenants.

Some people don't wear them because they don't want to.  You don't get kicked out of the Church for not wearing them.  But you make a commitment to wear them (some argue it is part of the covenant.  I don't know) both day and night when you go through the temple.

EDIT: Yes, exercise, swimming, etc. are specifically outlined as times that wearing them is not required.  But I'm afraid that if you go to a KISS concert, you need the added spiritual protection.  Unless you're going with @MormonGator.  Then he can be your protection.

Edited by Guest

Guest MormonGator
50 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Some LDS wear them and some don't, even if they are endowed. It's like asking why some LDS drink coffee and some don't-some LDS follow the rules more closely than others. It's breaking the endowment promise if you don't wear them, so yes, it's a bad thing. When I went to the temple afterwards the bishop told me to use common sense. Don't wear them from swimming, but otherwise you probably should wear them. 

And remember that you'll never find a religion where 100% of it's adherents believe the same thing and act the same way all the time. 

Edited by MormonGator

As others have said garments are part of the Temple Endowment which you will have a chance for about a 1 after baptism.  Members who are not endowed will not/should not be wearing garments.  Disciplinary action where your membership is revoked is another reason some one might not.

Other then that, we are instructed to wear them day and night.  While acknowledging that there are times it is not correct to do so.  However as with many things in the church we are not given a check list of when it is ok and when it is not ok.  So members can be all over the map on their personal obedience to this command.

36 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Thanks.  I realized you got them at your endowment, but I’ve spoken to people who have been endowed and just don’t wear them and shrugged it off as though it were optional.  

I realize I’ll learn more if the time comes, but it was something I was curious about. 

I think this comes down to understanding:

1) What are we commanded to do?
2) While all commandments are important, there is a level of severity for disobeying certain commandments.  Obviously denying the Holy Ghost and Murder are more severe than getting upset about misplacing your KISS tickets.
3) What tends to be the common practice (when to wear and when not to wear)?

We really are commanded to wear them all the time -- as indicated in the reading list provided above (with some obvious exceptions).  As far as severity, read the guidelines.  My personal feelings on this is that it is like keeping the Sabbath.  Are there sometimes when you really have a hard time avoiding buying something or working on Sunday?  Yes.  Is it ideal for you to do so?  No, but you gotta do what you gotta do.  Are you going to miss EVERY Sunday?  At some point, you have to wonder if you're actually keeping the commandment at all.

If you find there are a few adults in your ward or stake that you really respect, ask them about some of their "gray area" items.  See what they do.  Pray about it.  Seek guidance. And do what you need to do.  There are also some items specifically spoken of -- like swimming is ok to remove them, yard work is not -- by general authorities and Church literature.  But for the most part, you're supposed to seek the guidance of the Spirit on this.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Grunt said:

I’ve spoken to people who have been endowed and just don’t wear them and shrugged it off as though it were optional.

At some time or other, each of us serves as a bad example to others, to help them see what they should not do. These people you mention are just taking their turn. In this particular thing, please ignore them.

1 minute ago, Vort said:

At some time or other, each of us serves as a bad example to others, to help them see what they should not do. These people you mention are just taking their turn. In this particular thing, please ignore them.

Thanks. I wouldn’t know a good example from a bad one with most things.  I just don’t know enough about them. 

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

You receive them when you take out receive your endowments in the temple.

Fixed that for you.  (Sorry, pet peeve.)

2 hours ago, Grunt said:

Thanks.  I realized you got them at your endowment, but I’ve spoken to people who have been endowed and just don’t wear them and shrugged it off as though it were optional.  

I realize I’ll learn more if the time comes, but it was something I was curious about. 

https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/selected-church-policies?lang=eng#21.1.42

FWIW.

4 hours ago, Carborendum said:

EDIT: Yes, exercise, swimming, etc. are specifically outlined as times that wearing them is not required.  But I'm afraid that if you go to a KISS concert, you need the added spiritual protection.  Unless you're going with @MormonGator.  Then he can be your protection.

Gene Simmons is Jewish. 

He was born in Israel, and after he and his mom came to the US he spend much of his youth in a religious private school. 

By his own admission, during the 1970s when the whole "KISS is Satanic!" bit was at its peak, he got a kick out of quoting the Bible right back at the Bible-thumpers who'd go after him. 

I kid you not. 

26 minutes ago, Fether said:

I’m curious as to where you find this?

One example:

https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/selected-church-policies?lang=eng

Endowed members should wear the temple garment both day and night. They should not remove it, either entirely or partially, to work in the yard or for other activities that can reasonably be done with the garment worn properly beneath the clothing. Nor should they remove it to lounge around the home in swimwear or immodest clothing. When they must remove the garment, such as for swimming, they should put it back on as soon as possible.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1997/08/the-temple-garment-an-outward-expression-of-an-inward-commitment?lang=eng

When the garment must be removed, such as for swimming, it should be restored as soon as possible.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

I was think more towards the exercise. I don’t want to start a war about whether it was on to not wear garments while going for a run or not, but if there is a source that suggests it, I would be very interested in it.

Just now, Fether said:

I was think more towards the exercise. I don’t want to start a war about whether it was on to not wear garments while going for a run or not, but if there is a source that suggests it, I would be very interested in it.

I probably shouldn't even post about this since I know nothing about garments, but the talk about exercise certainly interests me.  I run and/or lift weights every work day.  After, I shower and change in a very crowded locker room.  Do they make exercise garments?  Running long distances in improper clothes can be bloody and miserable.  Changing in a crowded locker room?  That's not exactly keeping your garments private.

13 minutes ago, Grunt said:

I probably shouldn't even post about this since I know nothing about garments, but the talk about exercise certainly interests me.  I run and/or lift weights every work day.  After, I shower and change in a very crowded locker room.  Do they make exercise garments?  Running long distances in improper clothes can be bloody and miserable.  Changing in a crowded locker room?  That's not exactly keeping your garments private.

You will get different answers from different people. I have always exercised in my garments under the thought “The church is ok with me biking 3-8 hours every day in the middle of summer while wearing my garments (referencing my mission), why should I feel justified removing them for a couple hours of workout?”

I always felt that we should wear them when exercising, but there are enough members not wearing them while out running or at the gym that it makes me wonder if there is something I don’t know haha.

As far as changing, I would take the approach of changing in a private place, if there is none, just try not to draw attention to them. 

You will receive better instruction when you go through the temple. And consult with your leaders.

12 minutes ago, Grunt said:

That was one of my thoughts.  Not the issue of disrespect, but going through 10-14 garments a week.

I exercise first thing in the morning, therefore in the garments I wore yesterday, thus only one pair per day.  (Not that this necessarily works for everyone.)

Back in the 90s, my brother was a welder.  It's hot work.  The guys would change out of regular shirts and put on leathers to protect themselves from sparks and whatnot.  At a new job, the other welders made fun of not only him, but the garment.  The counsel he was given was not to wear the garment where it would be mocked.  I think the question is less about privacy and more about mockery / disrespect.

1 hour ago, Grunt said:

I probably shouldn't even post about this since I know nothing about garments

Why do you keep apologizing for things which don't need apologizing for?  

Asking questions is a GOOD thing!

1 hour ago, Grunt said:

but the talk about exercise certainly interests me.  I run and/or lift weights every work day.  After, I shower and change in a very crowded locker room.  Do they make exercise garments?  Running long distances in improper clothes can be bloody and miserable.  Changing in a crowded locker room?  That's not exactly keeping your garments private.

That's something you'll get a huge variety of answers on.  I think the most logical answer is: chat with your Father in Heaven about it, and go with what He says. 

15 hours ago, Grunt said:

When I worked out in a gym, I would sweat pretty heavily. At first, I wore my garments while I worked out. But, it didn't take long for me to determine that they began irritating my skin as I worked out. I made the decision to not wear them while working out. Perhaps that wasn't the correct thing to do, but I felt ok doing it. I never felt the Spirit tell me that I chose wrong.

Fast forward to now where my exercise is less strenuous. I do sweat, but not nearly as much as before. I wear my garments while exercising now and haven't felt the Spirit tell me that I'm choosing wrong. 

There are different fabrics now that work better with exercise/activity than other types of fabrics. When you are endowed and begin wearing garments, you'll just have to experiment on which fabrics/fit is better for you for a variety of situations. And I would say that most likely, it'll be your family (especially, your wife) who will be the ones you'll be more concerned about who will have questions/curiosity about the garment. I think most people (well, mature, polite people anyway) don't pay that much attention to you when you are changing in a public place, like a locker room.

I have many family members and friends who are not members of the church. I admit that I don't go around talking about my underwear with people, but if any of them ask me, I'm open about talking about the garment. When I was engaged, I had a work friend help me with the alterations for my wedding dress. She, obviously, was made aware and saw my garments. She had many questions which I encouraged and answered truthfully. If I have to change clothes with others around, I try to find some place more private (a stall in the locker room, a bathroom in the hotel room, etc.). But, if I am unable to find something that private, I just change in front of them. I've not had any issues with people mocking me or the garment. They've had questions to which I'm never opposed. 

And don't feel badly asking questions. How are you to learn? Goodness, I learn something when others ask questions. So, ask away.

18 hours ago, Fether said:

I'm confused by what you mean.  I think most people don't wear garments when exercising. Is that what you were looking for?  My reference above said basically: Swimming - remove them; yardwork - keep them on.  I suppose exercise can be considered in between.  But I have heard it lumped in with swimming and similar activities.  I just didn't see it in those two particular references.