Garments

Grunt

39 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I'm confused by what you mean.  I think most people don't wear garments when exercising. Is that what you were looking for?  My reference above said basically: Swimming - remove them; yardwork - keep them on.  I suppose exercise can be considered in between.  But I have heard it lumped in with swimming and similar activities.  I just didn't see it in those two particular references.

In your initial comment you said 

On 4/14/2018 at 10:23 AM, Carborendum said:

EDIT: Yes, exercise, swimming, etc. are specifically outlined as times that wearing them is not required. 

I was just curious if you knew of a  statement that suggests the exercising portion and other activities were specifically outline as being times it is appropriate to remove the garment. I knew about the swimming, but no other activity have I ever heard being specifically outlined as activities one should remove garments for.

55 minutes ago, Fether said:

In your initial comment you said 

I was just curious if you knew of a  statement that suggests the exercising portion and other activities were specifically outline as being times it is appropriate to remove the garment. I knew about the swimming, but no other activity have I ever heard being specifically outlined as activities one should remove garments for.

Like I said, I know I have seen it in the same type of grouping.  But I just didn't stumble upon it in a quick search.  And to be honest, I don't really care.  I don't need to be commanded in all things.

To do many different types of exercise, I'd expect to be wearing shorter shorts.  And it is thus impractical to wear garments during those times.  Since the "impractical" aspect was specifically described in the reference to swimming, I'd believe it would apply.

If I'm wearing longer shorts because it is appropriate to wear during any particular exercise or sporting event, I'd wear my garments then as well.  But I don't necessarily expect that of others.  That's their choice.  That's between them and the Lord.  Steve Young stated on national television that he didn't feel it was appropriate to wear garments during sports because... reasons.  I didn't necessarily agree with him.  But so what?  I'm not him.

The other end of the spectrum would be the yardwork statement.  That is a clear statement.  Anything in between... pray about it.  Don't expect to have everything spelled out for you.

If you really want it spelled out, then go search for it.  I don't care, myself.

11 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Like I said, I know I have seen it in the same type of grouping.  But I just didn't stumble upon it in a quick search.  And to be honest, I don't really care.  I don't need to be commanded in all things.

To do many different types of exercise, I'd expect to be wearing shorter shorts.  And it is thus impractical to wear garments during those times.  Since the "impractical" aspect was specifically described in the reference to swimming, I'd believe it would apply.

If I'm wearing longer shorts because it is appropriate to wear during any particular exercise or sporting event, I'd wear my garments then as well.  But I don't necessarily expect that of others.  That's their choice.  That's between them and the Lord.  Steve Young stated on national television that he didn't feel it was appropriate to wear garments during sports because... reasons.  I didn't necessarily agree with him.  But so what?  I'm not him.

The other end of the spectrum would be the yardwork statement.  That is a clear statement.  Anything in between... pray about it.  Don't expect to have everything spelled out for you.

If you really want it spelled out, then go search for it.  I don't care, myself.

Woah... calm down x)

I was just wondering, I wasn’t challenging anything you said. 

I’m not looking for things to be spelled out. I have been mocked a few times by LDS friends that see me wearing garments while exercising or playing basketball so I was curious if there was anything that, as you said, specifically outlined.

I had never found anything so I never worried about it, but by what you said it sounded like you had.

obviously I was wrong...

Guest MormonGator
33 minutes ago, Grunt said:

They'll probably toss me by then, anyway.

If they haven't tossed out a pro gay marriage, Megadeth listening to LDS who makes non stop jokes about inappropriate topics, you ain't going anywhere son. 

Edited by MormonGator

6 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Of course.  You HAVE to love everyone.  That doesn't mean you won't toss me.   One thing about attending at a new ward for the first time is I realize how small and hickish my ward really is.  City Mormons are fancy.

heh, culture varies.  Like my mom tells me it's not appropriate to wear cowboy boots to church-- totally weird :).  But I'll still wear the cowboy boots when I attend her metropolitan ward, no one will die, and the gospel will still be the amount of true. 

3 hours ago, Fether said:

Woah... calm down x)

I’m not looking for things to be spelled out. I have been mocked a few times by LDS friends that see me wearing garments while exercising or playing basketball so I was curious if there was anything that, as you said, specifically outlined.

I had never found anything so I never worried about it, but by what you said it sounded like you had.

obviously I was wrong...

I'm getting the impression that you thought I was yelling.  I wasn't.  I was basically bored.  I'm both jet lagged and severely sleep deprived.  Sorry you got the wrong idea.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

heh, culture varies.  Like my mom tells me it's not appropriate to wear cowboy boots to church-- totally weird :).  But I'll still wear the cowboy boots when I attend her metropolitan ward, no one will die, and the gospel will still be the amount of true. 

I was taught that cowboy boots were as fine as or even better than the typical dress shoes for church!

13 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

Maybe this is why I was an older elder until they finally gave me a leadership position where they HAD to ordain me a High Priest (at least if they wanted it to be done in the correct manner).

I wear boots, or as some would put it "cowboy" boots.  That's what I always wear.  There are Sunday boots (fancier, nicer) and normal boots.  Obviously being self indulgent here, maybe a little egotistical, but the best sorts of people wear boots.

:cool:

15 hours ago, Fether said:

Woah... calm down x)

obviously I was wrong...

I always wear my garments when exercising.  I wear them all the time.  I feel that the protection they afford me is too valuable not to wear them, especially overseas in some locations where I go and do research.  I try to wear clothes, even when exercising, where my underclothes (aka...garments) are not exposed and others will not see them.

That said, I may be an extreme.  I believe Spencer W. Kimball talked about the wearing of the garment and also talked that they do not need to be worn during exercise or other strenuous activities (of which I'll let others expand on if they so desire, but I'm not going there currently).  He encouraged the  members to wear them at all times, but that they are not something that needs be worshipped as they are a piece of cloth.  There are many instances where it is not feasible to wear them, and such occasions are incorporated as I said above.  So if you are exercising, or swimming, or other strenuous activities not mentioned here...you do not necessarily need to wear the garment.  It is something that reminds us of our promises and who we are, but it is NOT what we worship ourselves.  We need to ensure that while we are respectful, we are not worshipping it as it is not something that is supposed to venerate that type of feeling.

@Grunt, I have not read the responses past the first few ones so maybe this already came up.

We wear garments as part of our temple covenants.  Some people who, after getting their endowments, struggle to keep the covenants to remain temple worthy so their temple recommends expire.  Some of them decide since they don't have current temple recommends,, they should just go ahead and not wear garments too.

But, if nothing else... eve we struggle to keep some of our covenants to remain temple worthy, we should at least keep the covenant to wear our garments even if we can't enter the temple.  I think, in the scheme of things, this is one of the easiest of the temple promises to keep.  If we can at least keep that promise, then we have a better chance at getting back to keeping the rest.

On 4/14/2018 at 8:07 PM, Grunt said:

Do they make exercise garments?

They make spandex garment bottoms for sports use.  I have worn these for this purpose, and I like them a lot.  They are comfortable and light weight.  They make various different styles and materials of garment tops, however, none are spandex and I have only tried a couple of them.  The 50/50 cotton/polyester blend is the most comfortable for me.  Even when I served my mission in Florida weather, that was the most comfortable option.

As to my opinion:  A few years ago a newly called Bishop interviewed my wife and I.  Eventually the topic of discussion came to garments.  He talked to us about wearing the garments even during activities like mowing the yard.  Then he told a story about how he used to come home after going for a run and go straight to mowing the yard, without putting his garments back on.  He said that eventually he came to realize that he should and so now he always goes inside and puts garments back on before mowing the lawn.  After he shared his story I commented to him something along the lines of, 'Bishop, I would not even go running without garments on, isn't that what they make the spandex garments for?'.

Once I discovered the spandex garments I basically came to assume that the Lord/Church intends for us to wear garments in every situation where we would wear any type of underclothing.  I don't know many people who feel the need to go 'commando' while running or exercising.  I also imagine that active duty military personnel on the front lines generally wear underwear, and so LDS would wear their garments.  I can't imagine someone more 'active' than a serviceman in the middle east, and other areas.

Most people I have personally met who do not faithfully wear their garments (even excluding my soap box example above) do so because of a preference for immodest clothing, rather than an issue related to physical comfort or capability.

EDIT:  Holy Moly!  I just discovered that spandex garments no longer appear to be available!  I am truly saddened by this, and also my soap box has been partially dismantled!  Oh well.  I still wear my cotton-poly garments when I exercise as well.

EDIT EDIT:  I just called the Church Distribution Center, the spandex garments were discontinued, however, due to popular demand, they are doing a complete re-design and expect a very similar item to be available again in 2019!

Edited by person0

@Grunt

Garments are part of a personal covenant between someone that is endowed from on high and their G-d.  This endowment symbol is sacred and will (or should) eventually include the covenant of marriage – meaning that the garment is more than an individual covenant but can and should include the marriage covenant.  For me and my wife – we take both our covenants and emblems of our covenant seriously.  If there is any possibility for any worldly ridicule (ever) we try to avoid such thing and any possibility of casting such “sacred pearls before swine” – not just to avoid what may be said (or thought) in our presents but even in our absents.

I have fasted, prayed and counseled with my priesthood leadership (at several levels) and come to my own conclusions.  My personal covenants in this regard may be somewhat different than others but I am fully prepared to justify my covenant and efforts to respect my covenants before G-d (not so much with others and especially others that are not part of my priesthood leadership) – with very little concerns of other opinions. 

One last point – I have found that our apostate LDS cousins of splinter faiths are very “unbending” and “unyielding” in the wearing of the garment.  There are no acceptable exceptions.

The Traveler

On 4/14/2018 at 9:08 AM, Grunt said:

Sorry for another garment discussion.  I didn’t see a clear answer when I searched, but that may just be due to searching on a cell phone.  

Why do some Mormons wear garments and others don’t?   Is it a bad thing to not wear them?  Are there clear directions given when they should or shouldn’t be worn (exercise, swimming, KISS concerts, etc)?

Sometimes I wish we had a “members only” section in case I ask something inappropriate.  

I live by the three S's

Sports/gym

Swimming

Sex

I take my garments off for all three. Otherwise there is no reason to not wear them as  outlined.  You will see wild and various speculation with regards to the sports/gym wearing of them. You need to take your own temperature on that once you go through the temple for yourself.

16 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

I live by the three S's

Sports/gym

Swimming

Sex

I take my garments off for all three. Otherwise there is no reason to not wear them as  outlined...

Can I add two more S's?

Soaking in the tub and/or

Showering

I think through this whole thread no one has mentioned these two activities that I would hope are practiced multiple times a week. 😊

Unless I'm wrong and Mormons actually bath with their garments on.

M.