Religious vs cultural Mormonism

Sunday21

2 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

If you are a Mormon outside of Utah, you'll often hear the term "Utah Mormonism" used both as a pejorative and a positive. Most active Utah Mormons I've encountered have a good sense of humor about it, actually, often making jokes about it themselves

but what does it actually mean? 

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Lee said:

but what does it actually mean? 

Bunch of things. Sometimes it can mean a Mormon who takes themselves too seriously or follows it strictly by the book. Example-when I joined the church, I mentioned that I wanted to go to Utah.  A lady said, "Don't go there. They'll sneer at you for taking the sacrament with the wrong hand." I said, "Oh. Where are you from?" With a healthy dose of irony, she said "Utah."  She was a devout member who could laugh at herself and often told me that "Utah Mormons" can take things too seriously, including themselves. 

7 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Bunch of things. Sometimes it can mean a Mormon who takes themselves too seriously or follows it strictly by the book. Example-when I joined the church, I mentioned that I wanted to go to Utah.  A lady said, "Don't go there. They'll sneer at you for taking the sacrament with the wrong hand." I said, "Oh. Where are you from?" With a healthy dose of irony, she said "Utah."  She was a devout member who could laugh at herself and often told me that "Utah Mormons" can take things too seriously, including themselves. 

I had the same experience.

33 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

That sounds dumb to me, sure some Mormons in Utah take things to seriously and some will like to tell you their ancestors were pioneers but you get that with Mormons everywhere. Utah is a great state y'all are just salty  

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, Lee said:

That sounds dumb to me, sure some Mormons in Utah take things to seriously and some will like to tell you their ancestors were pioneers but you get that with Mormons everywhere. Utah is a great state y'all are just salty  

I like seeing that local pride. Very cool, don't see it much anymore. 

2 minutes ago, Lee said:

Plus the "sneer at" part is nonsense.

There's taking things seriously (choosing to partake of the sacrament with your right hand as a show of respect and teaching your children the same) and then there're the made up self-righteous, "sneer at" others, taking things seriously, which doesn't really exist except in the fringe reality that some people are snobs the world over.

6 minutes ago, Lee said:

some will like to tell you their ancestors were pioneers

Is having pioneer ancestors something to be ashamed of? Or are you saying people actually brag about it, rather than just mention it in conversation?

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, Vort said:

Is having pioneer ancestors something to be ashamed of? Or are you saying people actually brag about it, rather than just mention it in conversation?

It's nothing to be ashamed of, but your ancestors aren't really a point of pride either. After you get to several generations out, no one cares except you. 

I'm adopted. Some of my adoptive family came over on the Mayflower. I demand you show me respect because of that. See? Doesn't that sound obnoxious? If someone mentioned to me that their relatives were pioneers, it would be like how you feel about my relatives. No one cares.

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Vort said:

I have rarely heard the term "Utah Mormon" used as anything but a pejorative, and usually an insult. Those who use the term immediately drop a notch in my estimation, unless they are being obviously ironic or self-deprecating.

Actually, some "Washington Mormons" lack a sense of humor too, but anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Vort said:

kids at school used to brag about it mainly on Pioneer Day. Actually, even adults mention it quite a lot like it is some certification of their character.  

15 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

There's taking things seriously (choosing to partake of the sacrament with your right hand as a show of respect and teaching your children the same)

Honestly, bro I think I use my right hand because I am right handed not because I grew up in Utah. :lol:

Just now, Lee said:

Honestly, bro I think I use my right hand because I am right handed not because I grew up in Utah. :lol:

I'm sure that's true of many. And I see many who don't use their right hands. And I don't think they're "doing it wrong" or anything. They simply don't see it that way -- either haven't been introduced to the idea of it (showing respect that way), or consider it unimportant for some reason or another. I was taught, specifically, by my parents to use my right hand by way of showing respect.

To be clear, this idea of showing respect, etc. wasn't something randomly made up:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1983/03/i-have-a-question/is-it-necessary-to-take-the-sacrament-with-ones-right-hand?lang=eng

It isn't some random thing like......the proverbial green jello.

21 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I'm adopted. Some of my adoptive family came over on the Mayflower. I demand you show me respect because of that. See? Doesn't that sound obnoxious?

Indeed it does. Are there Utahns saying, "I demand you show me respect because my ancestors were Mormon pioneers"? Or is this just one more thing that people can get upset about and feel superior to "judgmental Utah Mormons" over?

BTW, you're right about Washington Mormons. We suck. But we don't care if you say so, as long as you're honest about your own suckage.

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, Vort said:

Indeed it does. Are there Utahns saying, "I demand you show me respect because my ancestors were Mormon pioneers"? Or is this just one more thing that people can get upset about and feel superior to "judgmental Utah Mormons" over?

I'd feel sorry, not superior to anyone who thinks that they deserve respect or admiration because of who their ancestors were. It's pity, not "getting upset or feeling superior". 

And I already feel superior to everyone. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest LiterateParakeet
28 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Actually, some "Washington Mormons" lack a sense of humor too, but anyway. 

I am not amused!   :D   

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I am not amused!   :D   

LOL! 

I always think you are from Oregon. Seriously, I don't know why. Melissa thinks so too! When you came down to Florida she asked me if you were from Portland! 

Edited by MormonGator

20 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I'm sure that's true of many. And I see many who don't use their right hands. And I don't think they're "doing it wrong" or anything. They simply don't see it that way -- either haven't been introduced to the idea of it (showing respect that way), or consider it unimportant for some reason or another. I was taught, specifically, by my parents to use my right hand by way of showing respect.

I was never taught that, not all Mormons in Utah care what hand you use, my parents never did and neither do I   

Guest LiterateParakeet
1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

LOL! 

I always think you are from Oregon. Seriously, I don't know why. Melissa thinks so too! When you came down to Florida she asked me if you were from Portland! 

LOL, my hubby is from Portland.  We got married there and lived there for four years, but I've been in Washington now for just over 10 years.  So you were in the ballpark. :D  I love the Northwest, Oregon and Washington.  

Florida was awesome...but I meant to ask you what is up with your road system, holy cow that was nutz!  

Guest MormonGator
28 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

LOL, my hubby is from Portland.  So you were in the ballpark.

I knew you had some connection to there! Lol. 

28 minutes ago, LiterateParakeet said:

Florida was awesome...but I meant to ask you what is up with your road system, holy cow that was nutz!  

Our roads are basically straight lines, but people drive insane on them. It's the most dangerous state in the union to drive on probably. Many reasons for this. First off is just that we have more people. The more people, the more crowded the roads and the more bad drivers. Just demographics really. I'm sure Cali and Texas have the same types of problems. Also, Florida is huge, much bigger than what people really understand and we drive everywhere. I'm blessed to have three cars and even then, we get oil changes every few months on them because of how much we drive! 

Most people visit Florida (especially in Orlando) and aren't from here. They are taking their kids to the parks or enjoying the beaches. Because they are stupid tourists (Kidding everyone. Come, spend your money, then go home) they are unfamiliar with the roads and will do the same thing we always do when we are unfamiliar with an area-look around, drive slower, take the wrong turn and try to correct themselves, thus causing accidents.

People also have a sense of "I'm on vacation, so nothing can hurt me" and they'll drive longer distances or worse, drive after a few drinks. In Florida, it's always 5 O'Clock because people are either retired or on vacation. Seriously, I've never seen so many people drink from basically noon-till well, um, noon the next day. So that's also very dangerous.  Finally, remember that many of our residents are old. And no, just because you are 200 years old that doesn't mean you can't drive. Many people can. But, sadly, some can't and still do. 

So yeah, our roads are dangerous. I live in the glorious rural part of the state. So we are very safe here. 

3 hours ago, MormonGator said:

It's nothing to be ashamed of, but your ancestors aren't really a point of pride either. After you get to several generations out, no one cares except you. 

I'm adopted. Some of my adoptive family came over on the Mayflower. I demand you show me respect because of that. See? Doesn't that sound obnoxious? If someone mentioned to me that their relatives were pioneers, it would be like how you feel about my relatives. No one cares.

UGH!! I know, right?! They're all, "My dad can beat up your dad. Actually, my great great grandpa DID beat up your great great grandpa." and "No, I didn't actually achieve the same awesomeness as my ancestor, but I'm awesome by association. I'm sporting his blue eyes and orange jersey, so I'm a WINNER!!!" and "My team won the America Bowl! IN YOUR FACE LOSER!!!!! And even when my team loses, it's still better than yours! And when you wear your sports team's hat you're voluntarily planting the mark of the beast on your forehead. ANTICHRIST!!!!!!!!"

Wait, what are we talking about again?

On 4/17/2018 at 10:18 AM, Traveler said:

BTW – I do not know why but it seems impossible to get a speeding ticket on my bicycle.  I did get one once – but I lost it (it was paid).  I have thought it would be cool to have a speeding ticket framed in my office beside some other cycling awards.

School zone and a good hill.

Had a trooper blip his siren at me a few days ago.  Didn't actually stop me, but I did slow from 28 down to just a little over the 20 speed limit.

12 hours ago, Lee said:

I have lived in Utah my entire life minus when I was away at college and I have never heard the term Utah Mormonism. What is it?

The following is a joke...well...mostly.

If you want to know the difference between a Mormon and a Utah Mormon...see the differences between @The Folk Prophet and @MormonGator and it becomes apparent quite quickly.

For the Utah Mormon, the Mormon acts very crazy.  For the Mormon, the Utah Mormons are strict as an unbending bar of titanium...or is that tungsten.  Even to the point that if you do not eat Green Jello at a Potluck, you have committed some cardinal sin.

However...that's nothing.  I'll confuse you even more with the term of Jack Mormons.  I might be a Jack Mormon.  These are guys that have the first name of John (Like John F. Kennedy) but have that nickname of Jack (just like Jack Kennedy did), or actually have the name of Jack.   They call us Jack Mormons.  Everyone, Utah Mormons and Mormons are jealous of us because we can do whatever we want.  We are so handsome and charismatic that we get away with it.  John F. Kennedy started it.  He was actually a Mormon...didn't you know...everyone else just thought he was Catholic...and look what he got away with!!! 

Ever since then, us Jack Mormons have ruled the place.  Mitt Romney is the current heir to Kennedy's legacy today, and he's our Jack Mormon-In-Chief...but it's in name only because his name isn't John or Jack.  He does have the handsome charisma though.  So we piled all our new political hopes on him. 

:rolleyes:

(The Above is a JOKE.  PLEASE DO NOT TAKE IT SERIOUSLY.  If you Take it seriously...well...You can send political campaign donations directly to the Jack Mormon Foundation at

666 BlowingSmoke Ave

Charon, Utah 84311 (or ([8] 4377)

Edited by JohnsonJones

The first time I heard about "Utah Mormons" was when I was in California about 18 years ago.

I was working at an office owned by two Catholics.  But exactly 50% of the office (I counted) were LDS.  This was partly because the head engineer and the head of the drafting department were both LDS and they hired by word of mouth.  They also recruited from BYU and Rick's College.  No one raised any alarm bells except one lady who did not have a favorable opinion of Mormons.  Sucks to be her.

Anyway, one day I was speaking with the head engineer about how my wife and I had relatives on both sides of the family who lived in Utah.  He rolled his eyes and gave a sniff at that.  I inquired what that was about.

He said,"It's just that Mormons in Utah tend to take a lot of things for granted."

"Like what?"

He walked away.  He did that a lot.  He was not a great mentor.  He'd never really answer any questions engineering or otherwise.  He was the same guy who said that women should never have gotten the vote and that most of our government's problems are because of women's suffrage.  That didn't go over too well.