Starbucks to close 8K stores May 29th for training

pam

https://www.10news.com/news/national/starbucks-will-close-all-stores-on-may-29-to-conduct-racial-bias-training-in-wake-of-arrest-video

In the wake of the arrests of 2 men at a Starbucks store, they will close 8K stores on May 29th for several hours to conduct racial-bias training.  

Personally I never blame an entire business for something that one employee in one store did.  But in many ways I applaud Starbucks for not looking at bottom line and losing business for several hours to train their employees.

This was an incident that never should have happened. Just my opinion.

So, what Starbucks is saying is that if those 2 guys were White, their employees would have treated them differently?  I don't know if that's the case.  Starbucks tables are prime real estate.  I would think even more so in Philly.  Doesn't matter what color you are, if you're camping on a table you better be drinking what they're selling or give it to somebody else who needs the free wifi with their drinks.

Edited by anatess2

I am not familiar with what happened, but I don't know why Starbucks is being given so much attention on an LDS site, since it is mainly about coffee, and LDS do not drink coffee.  Even though they may offer hot cocoa, I don't feel it would be appropriate for a Latter-day Saint to enter a Star bucks.  If they were striving to be vailant and temple worthy and avoid the appearance of evil.  Giving business to a place like that just helps coffee sales.   We want to eliminate those kinds of things, not support them.   I think of course, every one should be treated right, there should be no racial bias, if this is the case, but we should be focusing more on those things that will build up the kingdom of God.  For instance, and I don't mean for this to be taken the wrong way, but it would be I think better to support those causes that are supporting what God is doing.  And give more attention to them.  The spirit can not become stronger in our lives, in our children's lives, in this world and we cannot be prepared for the Savior's coming unless we are willing to be better at forsaking the things of this world and replacing them with the things of heaven.  It reminds me of a comment a friend made once.  He had served a  mission, and of course, as a  missionary, you are so much closer to the Spirit (but shouldn't we all be?)  And he said one time he and his companion had to make a phone call.  They found themselves in a circumstance where they hadn't I guess another option.  I can't remember what the problem was.  The only place nearby was a bar.  They ofcourse didn't want to go in, but went in to just make the phone call.  He said that he has never felt the Spirit leave so dramatically before.  They made the call and promptly left.  They felt the Spirit afterwards.  I think sometimes we don't realize what we have and how much we need it.  And how much the world needs it.  We need to shine our light.

Jewels8 - I think most folks gave up on that line of thinking a while ago.  For example, do you fill your car with gas?  You are propping up brutal dictatorships who deny basic human rights.  Unless you ditch your car, or go to unfeasible extremes to confirm you are using American only gas and oil, you're part of the problem.

Do you shop anywhere that is open on Sunday?  We want to eliminate those kinds of things, not support them.

Do you shop at grocery stores?  Do they have a beer aisle?  Does shopping at places that sell beer, bring you closer to the Spirit?

Nah.  You support the coffee industry by buying coffee.  Starbucks make excellent muffins that are yummy.

22 minutes ago, jewels8 said:

I am not familiar with what happened, but I don't know why Starbucks is being given so much attention on an LDS site, since it is mainly about coffee, and LDS do not drink coffee.  Even though they may offer hot cocoa, I don't feel it would be appropriate for a Latter-day Saint to enter a Star bucks.  If they were striving to be vailant and temple worthy and avoid the appearance of evil.  Giving business to a place like that just helps coffee sales.   We want to eliminate those kinds of things, not support them.   I think of course, every one should be treated right, there should be no racial bias, if this is the case, but we should be focusing more on those things that will build up the kingdom of God.  For instance, and I don't mean for this to be taken the wrong way, but it would be I think better to support those causes that are supporting what God is doing.  And give more attention to them.  The spirit can not become stronger in our lives, in our children's lives, in this world and we cannot be prepared for the Savior's coming unless we are willing to be better at forsaking the things of this world and replacing them with the things of heaven.  It reminds me of a comment a friend made once.  He had served a  mission, and of course, as a  missionary, you are so much closer to the Spirit (but shouldn't we all be?)  And he said one time he and his companion had to make a phone call.  They found themselves in a circumstance where they hadn't I guess another option.  I can't remember what the problem was.  The only place nearby was a bar.  They ofcourse didn't want to go in, but went in to just make the phone call.  He said that he has never felt the Spirit leave so dramatically before.  They made the call and promptly left.  They felt the Spirit afterwards.  I think sometimes we don't realize what we have and how much we need it.  And how much the world needs it.  We need to shine our light.

Well, that's just silly.

I go to Starbucks a lot.  They have reliable wifi and have a gazillion other offerings that are not coffee.  It's my office a lot of times.  There's one inside the Barnes and Noble so, I get to sit in a nice wing chair with a little table perfect for my hot chocolate and my protein bento and I get to flip through several magazines without holding up the cashier's lane in the grocery store.

It's silly to think that just because I avail of the comfort provided by a Starbucks that I can't be prepared for the Savior's coming.

42 minutes ago, jewels8 said:

OH MY GOSH

Looks like I can’t watch Disney movies anymore cause it supports rated R movies (ie DeadPool 2)

Sure wish I could work for  be a construction worker, but I might end up building a building complex that might house a brewery.

Wish I could live in CO but I would be paying state tax a state that legalized marijuana.

Wish I could visit Sweden but they have legal prostitution, cant support that crap.

Wish I could live on Earth, but 99.998% of the people here don’t live the way they ought to, better move so I don’t accidentally buy a sandwich that will pay for someone’s salary so they can go buy a cigar. Where is that spaceship that is taking us away???

Edited by Fether

29 minutes ago, jewels8 said:

We can live in the world but not be of the world. 

Starbucks makes some great smoothies and delicious baked goods.

31 minutes ago, jewels8 said:

Oh please.  Starbucks is more than just coffee.  I go there for the Strawberries N' Cream.  :)

11 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Nah.  You support the coffee industry by buying coffee.  Starbucks make excellent muffins that are yummy.

I bet if you look at the sales revenue of Starbucks inUT, you will find that 1/4 of it all comes from the sale of “caramel/chocolate chip Frappuccino w/o coffee”.

NOTE: or at least in Stansbury Park, it was quite the craze while I was in highschool.

Edited by Fether

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

So, what Starbucks is saying is that if those 2 guys were White, their employees would have treated them differently?  I don't know if that's the case.  Starbucks tables are prime real estate.  I would think even more so in Philly.  Doesn't matter what color you are, if you're camping on a table you better be drinking what they're selling or give it to somebody else who needs the free wifi with their drinks.

I've gone into establishments and sat at one their tables while waiting for friends to join me several times.  I don't feel it was any different for these two gentlemen who were waiting for another person before they ordered.  It was all in the perspective of that one Starbucks employee who I feel made a wrong decision.

Starbucks has carefully crafted it's image as progressive-value-laden wholesome goodness, that makes you feel good for spending money there.

A stain like this could harm that image.  This isn't an attempt to help employees be better people, this is a carefully crafted multi-million-dollar marketing campaign engineered to preserve it's good name.

I mean, I don't really have a problem with what they're doing.   Just don't fool yourself into thinking this would be happening if the bad press hadn't gotten any traction.

4 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Starbucks has carefully crafted it's image as progressive-value-laden wholesome goodness, that makes you feel good for spending money there.

A stain like this could harm that image.  This isn't an attempt to help employees be better people, this is a carefully crafted multi-million-dollar marketing campaign engineered to preserve it's good name.

I mean, I don't really have a problem with what they're doing.   Just don't fool yourself into thinking this would be happening if the bad press hadn't gotten any traction.

Whatever their reason for doing it I'm glad.  Starbucks isn't the only business that has been hurt by an employee with racial-bias.  More companies need to hold regular training not only on this but other things as well.

Guest MormonGator
6 minutes ago, pam said:

I guess I need to quit going to my favorite steak place.  They have a bar there.  And you can see it.  

Actually @pam, a true, holy LDS wouldn't even shop at ANY grocery store because they sell coffee. You shouldn't go to movies or sporting events either, because they sell alcohol there. 

Shame on you! 

Edited by MormonGator

7 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Actually @pam, a true, holy LDS wouldn't even shop at ANY grocery store because they sell coffee. You shouldn't go to movies or sporting events either, because they sell alcohol there. 

Shame on you! 

I'll repent after I see the movie or the game.  :P

5 minutes ago, pam said:

Whatever their reason for doing it I'm glad.  Starbucks isn't the only business that has been hurt by an employee with racial-bias.  More companies need to hold regular training not only on this but other things as well.

i'd be interested to hear from People of Color - their experiences.  i've read some books and i never realized just how much suppressed rage there is in the Black Community against a system they see as oppressing them.  

Many of their points seem valid to me - and others, i just don't understand (but would like to try to).

25 minutes ago, pam said:

I've gone into establishments and sat at one their tables while waiting for friends to join me several times.  I don't feel it was any different for these two gentlemen who were waiting for another person before they ordered.  It was all in the perspective of that one Starbucks employee who I feel made a wrong decision.

Right.  So... you're saying that the Starbucks employee called the cops on them because they were black?  In Philly???

2 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Right.  So... you're saying that the Starbucks employee called the cops on them because they were black?  In Philly???

The people could have been black or white for all I care.  The fact that they were black does become suspect to me.  And the fact that there were white witnesses asking what these two men had done to warrant this.  So yes.  I believe that race played a part in this.  There is racism all over.  Just because it's Philly doesn't mean that it can't happen there.

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, pam said:

I'll repent after I see the movie or the game.  :P

You need to be careful young lady. It starts with a movie or a game, then before you know you'll be drinking medical wine from a teaspoon, then beer from a bottle. Why, it reminds me of a song I know! 

Edited by MormonGator

3 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

You need to be careful young lady. It starts with a move or a game, then before you know you'll be drinking medical wine from a teaspoon, then beer from a bottle. Why, it reminds me of a song I know! 

Oh we got trouble...Right here in River City...With a capital T!!

Guest MormonGator
Just now, pam said:

Oh we got trouble...Right here in River City...With a capital T!!

I was listening to that on my walk today. I'm the only person who will go from Megadeth to The Music Man. 

• pam featured this topic
24 minutes ago, pam said:

The people could have been black or white for all I care.  The fact that they were black does become suspect to me.  And the fact that there were white witnesses asking what these two men had done to warrant this.  So yes.  I believe that race played a part in this.  There is racism all over.  Just because it's Philly doesn't mean that it can't happen there.

The fact that there were white witnesses protesting that a black person got kicked out of Starbucks doesn't a racist make.  The fact that it's Philly where Black is a majority makes it even more preposterous that it is race related.  That employee wouldn't be in the service industry in Philly if he's a racist.

29 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

The fact that there were white witnesses protesting that a black person got kicked out of Starbucks doesn't a racist make.  The fact that it's Philly where Black is a majority makes it even more preposterous that it is race related.  That employee wouldn't be in the service industry in Philly if he's a racist.

You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine.  I stand by my thoughts and opinion.  Have a great day.

2 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Shame on you! 

@pam shouldn't even be allowed out of her room. She should be kept locked up. Now that's something that would really contribute to the achievement of Starbucks goal of having a positive impact on the world. ;)

Edited by askandanswer

• pam unfeatured this topic