RIP Schoolhouse Rock guy

NeuroTypical

“I still play the songs in my jazz jobs,” says Bob Dorough, who wrote and voiced much of the original Schoolhouse canon. “I used to play very hip songs, but then one of the waiters — who would be 25 or 30 — would say to me, ‘your voice sounds familiar.’ ” Dorough would reveal why. The waiter would get excited. “Oh!” he would say. “Can we have one, please?”

The ones I remember from watching Saturday morning cartoons in the late 70's early 80's were the one about the preamble, because it was instrumental in 8th grade when I had to memorize the preamble, conjunction junction, and I'm just a bill. I have since looked up the others to remember others that, but those three I could remember without prompting.

19 minutes ago, zil said:

I loved those.  They just don't make good cartoons anymore.  I've never seen anything better than the original Looney Toons (yes, I know, this wasn't related, but it was the same age).

You obviously haven’t watched Phineas and Ferb

The Shot Heard 'Round the World - Paul Revere's ride signals the start of the American revolution.

A Noun Is a Person, Place or Thing - A dime still plays Chubby Checker on the dime store record machine.

Interplanet Janet - A solar system tour of the planets.

Three Is a Magic Number - A Magician digs deep into his top hat that proves there's a magic number.

The Preamble - This is the constitutional ditty that gets hummed during every civics test.

Interjections - Reginald Hollers some interjections.

Electricity, Electricity - When you're in the dark, flip that switch for EE-LEC-TRIC-ITY.

Lolly, Lolly, Lolly Get Your Adverbs Here - Father, Son and Lolly enrich your language with adverbs.

I'm Just a Bill - How does a bill get through Congress to become a law?

Conjunction Junction - How to hook up words and phrases and clauses.

Verb: That's What's Happening - Verb is the word that puts the action in every sentence.

And that was just season 1!  Haven't even mentioned the Great American Melting Pot, Mother Necessity, Rufus Xavier Sasparilla and his Aardvark, Elbow Room, Dem Bones, Sufferin' 'til Sufferage, Tyrannosaurus Debt, or Naughty Number Nine. 

Plus, the guy lent his voice to a world-class Simpsons parody:

Plus, this: