Are we not doing modesty anymore?

Hello again. It's been quite awhile since I've been here. I was carlimac before. I still am but I'm not really sure what my user name is now. I had to create a new account (at least I think I did.)  Anyway, it's still me but across the country now. We moved to the east coast about a year ago.

Which brings up the question. It's that time of year again. Many of my LDS mom friends are posting pictures on social media of their daughters in Utah wearing spaghetti strap or strapless  prom dresses. These are active LDS girls.  Did I miss the memo that modesty standards have changed or no longer apply? The LDS girls in my east coast ward didn't get the memo either. Mormon Prom was last week. All wore beautiful sleeved gowns and had a wonderful time. Am I the only one befuddled by this trend?

Just wondering ...:cool:

Kind of surprises me.  I know the two school districts in my area have been very strict about dresses requiring at least a cap sleeve or some kind of a jacket or something to cover shoulders.  No strapless or spaghetti straps have been allowed.

20 minutes ago, Mcmomma said:

Hello again. It's been quite awhile since I've been here. I was carlimac before. I still am but I'm not really sure what my user name is now. I had to create a new account (at least I think I did.)  Anyway, it's still me but across the country now. We moved to the east coast about a year ago.

Which brings up the question. It's that time of year again. Many of my LDS mom friends are posting pictures on social media of their daughters in Utah wearing spaghetti strap or strapless  prom dresses. These are active LDS girls.  Did I miss the memo that modesty standards have changed or no longer apply? The LDS girls in my east coast ward didn't get the memo either. Mormon Prom was last week. All wore beautiful sleeved gowns and had a wonderful time. Am I the only one befuddled by this trend?

Hate to say it again... Public School.  People from my stake posted photos as well.  All the home schooled girls wore modest dresses.  A large majority of the public schooled girls wore strapless or spaghetti strap, or even more revealing dresses.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Mcmomma said:

You can still use your carlimac username/account.  It's still an active account.

11 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Hate to say it again... Public School.  People from my stake posted photos as well.  All the home schooled girls wore modest dresses.  A large majority of the public schooled girls wore strapless or spaghetti strap, or even more revealing dresses.

The LDS girls in our area dressed modestly and they are all in public schools.

2 hours ago, pam said:

Well the OP did specifically bring up the modesty issue in Utah.  :)

Ahh.  I thought she was talking about east coast vs west coast.

So, in that case: @mirkwood, top interrupting my biased preconceived notions with your blatant facts to contradict my prejudiced positions!  That's really annoying.

Edited by Guest

23 hours ago, pam said:

Kind of surprises me.  I know the two school districts in my area have been very strict about dresses requiring at least a cap sleeve or some kind of a jacket or something to cover shoulders.  No strapless or spaghetti straps have been allowed.

I was in a city ward a few weeks ago where the fancy Mormons live.  I saw a woman come in and take a seat up front.  She was wearing a short(er) skirt and a halter type shirt with spaghetti straps.  I assumed she was an investigator until ward business when she was called to be something (I forget what).

45 minutes ago, Grunt said:

I was in a city ward a few weeks ago where the fancy Mormons live.  I saw a woman come in and take a seat up front.  She was wearing a short(er) skirt and a halter type shirt with spaghetti straps.  I assumed she was an investigator until ward business when she was called to be something (I forget what).

This sister is what we call ‘a work in progrss’. We are all in this category with respect to something! 

59 minutes ago, Grunt said:

As we've said before.  We don't kick people out for things like this.  But we love them, work with them, and encourage them the best we can to bring themselves to the point where they, themselves will want to change their own behavior.

9 hours ago, Carborendum said:

As we've said before.  We don't kick people out for things like this.  But we love them, work with them, and encourage them the best we can to bring themselves to the point where they, themselves will want to change their own behavior.

She was at Church.  That's more than most of the world can say.  I'd rather have someone at church in a bikini than on the couch in a mumu.  

1 hour ago, Grunt said:

I'm a 'work in progress'.  Thankfully nobody has kicked me out yet.

Start wearing short skirts and spaghetti straps and we might ;)

NOTE: for outside readers, I say this because Grunt is a guy... not because I have a distaste for people who are dressed immodestly.

Edited by Fether

14 minutes ago, Fether said:

Start wearing short skirts and spaghetti straps and we might ;)

NOTE: for outside readers, I say this because Grunt is a guy... not because I have a distaste for people who are dressed immodestly.

How do you know Grunt wouldn't feel more comfortable in a short skirt with spaghetti straps?  And why do we need to force grunt into a gender role???  Maybe grunt feels more comfortable gender neutral....:huh::cool:;)

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:16 PM, Mcmomma said:

I believe that the purpose of modesty (law of Chastity) is a preparation for the law of Marriage.   Not so much so that we can blame others but that we may see and understand our own covenants – despite what everybody else is doing.

The Traveler

9 hours ago, Grunt said:

I'm a 'work in progress'.  Thankfully nobody has kicked me out yet.

Well, I'm also a work in progress.  We can hang out sometime perhaps.  I think almost all but those who have achieved perfection are works in progress.  I know there are some who feel like they have reached this point in our stake (and probably throughout the church) but I know I have not as of yet.  In fact I think I have a LOOONG way to go and a very short time to get there.  Not a race I'm going to win.  Thank goodness for the atonement.

57 minutes ago, BJ64 said:

A question that might be asked is do boys really get turned on by seeing a girl’s shoulder?

As for myself a woman’s shoulder is no more alluring then her elbow.

That's why I haven't been able to eat mac'n'cheese since I was a teenager.

This might be a site violation, but I defy you to tell me this isn't a sizable temptation: 

screen-shot-2017-12-14-at-12-08-13-pm-e1513278745637.png?w=560

23 hours ago, BJ64 said:

A question that might be asked is do boys really get turned on by seeing a girl’s shoulder?

Some ladies are flat out exciting.  Even a little note in my lunch from my beloved changes my outlook on the world for the day.

The Traveler

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2018 at 7:14 AM, Grunt said:

She was at Church.  That's more than most of the world can say.  I'd rather have someone at church in a bikini than on the couch in a mumu.  

I love someone who sins (otherwise I’f Have to hate myself). Let’s just make sure while in church, someone can find a suit jacket blanket or other so that the proper spirit is retained. 

On 5/8/2018 at 12:33 PM, BJ64 said:

Look, what is the most important part about this... seduction (that is), is the intent of the person dressing themselves. Does the person want to market themselves as an object, or not? This can be done with or without covering going either way, usually if a person does not want to market themselves as an object, they will quickly change their presentation if they are (unfortunate be the circumstance ) found nude. 

Make sense? Need examples?

What if we stopped judging prospective mates (eternal companions) by sexual appeal and judged by their nature. I.e. we were more spiritual... what if we were perfect 😮😧😳😭

In short, modesty can and should always be a thing, but not everyone always understands it or is ready to make the sacrifice, (we all have sins).

I like to define modesty as: a habit of presenting oneself with specific godly intents. This leaves room to be sexually presentable at the right moments. I.e. when it’s time conceive a child/begin reproduction. Why on earth would I need to be sexually presentable at church? Absolutely no reason. Etc. 

like High heels? 👠. I Don’t see them as necessary. Although, attractive. I make an effort to disregard the difference, in my mind. Why would I need to be sexually presentable on a Highschool prom date? Nope 👎. As a missionary? 👎 as public persona 👎. It may work, to get them to do good things, but I’d like us to try convincing and persuading people to our will, by filling a different vacancy in their soul. 

Getting people’s attention is hard. Sometimes it’s absolutly necessary. But we can be creative other ways in getting their attention right?... and I’m preaching to the choir... I should probably just do my own thing now...

Edited by Behemoth