Book of Mormon Secrets

Traveler

If one studies both ancient Egypt and the Book of Mormon there are a great many seeming coincidences to be discovered.   I thought it would be interesting to point some of them out (there are lots of them).  We are told in the ancient scripture of the Book of Mormon that there are ties to ancient Egyptian culture – in particular, writing methods and styles. 

One of the minor g-d of Egypt was called “Khepri”.  Most of us will recognize this deity in the expression of a dung beetle or scarab.  Khepri is a subordinate to Ra (major Sun G-d) and as a subordinate, is responsible for elements of creation – especially the creation and evolution of life.  There is one particular aspect of Khepri that is responsible for overseeing special changes or evolution in life.  Perhaps the most prominent symbol of this special evolution is the mesomorphs of a caterpillar into a butterfly.  It was believed in ancient Egypt, as well as many other ancient cultures that a significant benevolent evolution in a person or society is caused by divine interference or oversite.  In other words, a miracle of change.  Many scholars claim this ancient philosophy of Khepri in our lives is the root or forerunner to the idea of being spiritually reborn.   So Khepri is symbolic of the g-d that brings about benevolent change or rebirth.

In our LDS theology we are encouraged in the idea that benevolent evolution and rebirth is to be a common and often occurrence.   There is a particular phrase in the Book of Mormon supports this ancient idea of Khepri bringing about changes for the better.  This phrase is often criticized for adding little or nothing to the narrative of the Book of Mormon.  Criticized because writing on golden plates was costly and unnecessary phrases would not make sense.  The phrase is, “And it came to pass”. 

If one understands the possibility that this seeming meaningless phrase has root in ancient Egyptian thought – the phrase begins to have much greater meaning as well as indication of divine intervention and oversite.  So, the next time you read the Book of Mormon – pay attention to the phrase, “And it came to pass” as a key witness to something wonderful bringing about a change for the good and benefit.  It may help give a little better insight into a hidden spiritual secret that has significant revenants to your own life.

The Traveler

On 5/3/2018 at 9:18 AM, Traveler said:

If one studies both ancient Egypt and the Book of Mormon there are a great many seeming coincidences to be discovered.   I thought it would be interesting to point some of them out (there are lots of them).  We are told in the ancient scripture of the Book of Mormon that there are ties to ancient Egyptian culture – in particular, writing methods and styles. 

One of the minor g-d of Egypt was called “Khepri”.  Most of us will recognize this deity in the expression of a dung beetle or scarab.  Khepri is a subordinate to Ra (major Sun G-d) and as a subordinate, is responsible for elements of creation – especially the creation and evolution of life.  There is one particular aspect of Khepri that is responsible for overseeing special changes or evolution in life.  Perhaps the most prominent symbol of this special evolution is the mesomorphs of a caterpillar into a butterfly.  It was believed in ancient Egypt, as well as many other ancient cultures that a significant benevolent evolution in a person or society is caused by divine interference or oversite.  In other words, a miracle of change.  Many scholars claim this ancient philosophy of Khepri in our lives is the root or forerunner to the idea of being spiritually reborn.   So Khepri is symbolic of the g-d that brings about benevolent change or rebirth.

In our LDS theology we are encouraged in the idea that benevolent evolution and rebirth is to be a common and often occurrence.   There is a particular phrase in the Book of Mormon supports this ancient idea of Khepri bringing about changes for the better.  This phrase is often criticized for adding little or nothing to the narrative of the Book of Mormon.  Criticized because writing on golden plates was costly and unnecessary phrases would not make sense.  The phrase is, “And it came to pass”. 

If one understands the possibility that this seeming meaningless phrase has root in ancient Egyptian thought – the phrase begins to have much greater meaning as well as indication of divine intervention and oversite.  So, the next time you read the Book of Mormon – pay attention to the phrase, “And it came to pass” as a key witness to something wonderful bringing about a change for the good and benefit.  It may help give a little better insight into a hidden spiritual secret that has significant revenants to your own life.

The Traveler

It is fascinating that you would explain this because, in the past, I found many of the repetitive phrases in the Book of Mormon to be somewhat irritating and distracting, whereas now I consider them more as a metering ritualistic instructional style (not unlike the chiastic structure)--an ordinance if you will, or a quasi form of prayer, giving this book of scripture a whole new level of meaning and application. The wonderful secret you revealed above will make it all the more sacred to me.

When I now hear the word "behold" (I am listening to an audio recording of the Book of Mormon) it prompts my mind to to take particular note and deeply consider and prepare myself to humbly receive revelation...as if by a voice speaking from the dust.

Thanks, -Wade Enlgund-

I thought I would add some additional Egyptian secret connections – not known by anyone when the Book of Mormon was written.  An Egyptian Colophon in 1Nephi:

The first three verses of 1Nephisharply set off from the rest of the text, are a typical colophon, a literary device that is highly characteristic of Egyptian compositions.  A typical example is the famous Bremer-Rhind Papyrus, which opens with a colophon containing:

#1. The Date

#2. The Titles of Nasim, the author

#3. The names of his parents and a word in praise of their virtues, with special mention of his father’s prophetic calling.

#4. A curse against anyone who might “take the book away,” probably “due to fear least a sacred book should get into impure hands.”

Compare this with Nephi’s Colophon:

#1. His Name

#2. The merits of his parents, with special attention to the learning of his father.

#3. A solemn avowal (corresponding to Nasim’s curse) that the record is true, and the assertion, “I make it with mine own hand: (1Nephi 1:3)

Egyptian Closing:  Egyptian literary writings regularly close with the formula iw-f-pw (“Thus it is,” “and so it is”).  Nephi Ends with the main sections of his book with the phrase, “And thus it is, Amen” (1Nephi 9:6; 14:30; 22:31).

In essence we have – by the literary forms used by Nephi – a personal witness that his record is historically accurate even by the method of asserting that his record is divinely inspired and historically accurate.

The Traveler

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

A typical example is the famous Bremer-Rhind Papyrus, which opens with a colophon containing:

#1. The Date
#2. The Titles of Nasim, the author
#3. The names of his parents and a word in praise of their virtues, with special mention of his father’s prophetic calling.
#4. A curse against anyone who might “take the book away,” probably “due to fear least a sacred book should get into impure hands.”

Compare this with Nephi’s Colophon:

#1. His Name
#2. The merits of his parents, with special attention to the learning of his father.
#3. A solemn avowal (corresponding to Nasim’s curse) that the record is true, and the assertion, “I make it with mine own hand: (1Nephi 1:3)

You failed to state that Nephi does mention the date: 

For it came to pass in the commencement of the first year of the reign of Zedekiah, king of Judah,

1 Ne 1:4

Right along with an "it came to pass".

Edited by Guest

@Traveler,

I know that we're not supposed to have our testimonies based on mortal means.  But every once in a while I see something like this and I feel this barely resistible urge to make a hand gesture at certain detractors.  So, thanks for this little gem.  And I guess I need to go repent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2018 at 9:59 AM, Carborendum said:

@Traveler,

I know that we're not supposed to have our testimonies based on mortal means.  But every once in a while I see something like this and I feel this barely resistible urge to make a hand gesture at certain detractors.  So, thanks for this little gem.  And I guess I need to go repent.

This touches on what I believe to be the biggest secret of the Book of Mormon--it isn't what is in the Book of Mormon, but what isn't in there.

There isn't anything close to definitive proof of its historicity or divine origins.  Sure, there is evidence for those with eyes to see and ears to hear (like what has been presented on this thread), but there is always room for doubt. There is always some latitude for naturalistic explanations and the like.

I find this remarkable. Somehow, even though God has had a major hand in the writing and translation of the Book of Mormon, we don't find clear indication of His fingerprints all over it--fingerprints that would negate faith.  In His infinite wisdom, God has managed with His crowning revelatory creation, to remain hidden beyond the veil--and this, at times, by commanding his prophets to not record certain things.--that is until, as with the Brother of Jared, one's faith becomes such that the heavens cannot withhold themselves.

In other words, to me the biggest secret of the Book of Mormon is its capacity to preserve faith, while enabling growth in faith to where one may see far better than if by sight.

So important is faith that, in the closing chapters of the Book, and added almost as an afterthought, Moroni includes the sermon of his father on the subject: Moroni 7

But, don't let anyone else know. Keep this between the few of us who have read this thread. ;)

THanks, -Wade Englund-

4 minutes ago, wenglund said:

In other words, to me the biggest secret of the Book of Mormon is its capacity to preserve faith, while enabling growth in faith to where one may see far better than if by sight.

I believe this speaks to the idea that the Book of Mormon is the Urim and Thummim for our individual use.  This gives us fanciful ideas of what we could see in our personal seer stone.  But the Book of Mormon doesn't work that way.

As we read, we don't see this world.  We see the truths from the other world.  I believe that if there were too many evidences of the mortal world's historicity, it would detract from being able to see into the immortal world.

On 5/18/2018 at 3:21 PM, wenglund said:

This touches on what I believe to be the biggest secret of the Book of Mormon--it isn't what is in the Book of Mormon, but what isn't in there.

There isn't anything close to definitive proof of its historicity or divine origins.  Sure, there is evidence for those with eyes to see and ears to hear (like what has been presented on this thread), but there is always room for doubt. There is always some latitude for naturalistic explanations and the like.

I find this remarkable. Somehow, even though God has had a major hand in the writing and translation of the Book of Mormon, we don't find clear indication of His fingerprints all over it--fingerprints that would negate faith.  In His infinite wisdom, God has managed with His crowning revelatory creation, to remain hidden beyond the veil--and this, at times, by commanding his prophets to not record certain things.--that is until, as with the Brother of Jared, one's faith becomes such that the heavens cannot withhold themselves.

So important is faith that, in the closing chapters of the Book, and added almost as an afterthought, Moroni includes the sermon of his father on the subject: Moroni 7

But, don't let anyone else know. Keep this between the few of us who have read this thread. ;)

THanks, -Wade Englund-

I have thought about that too.   Some here think there is proof of God to be found.  Not me.  There is plenty of evidence to go with testimony from the spirit, but without that, the evidence is pretty weak.  But I think most of us can look back on our lives and see where God has helped us along the way..  Giving us a boost in the right direction.  Helping us out with a miracle every now and then.  Faith is the cornerstone of agency.  If we had a perfect knowledge, I think our agency would mostly be gone.  And I think God wants us to exercise our agency to learn to make good choices.