A World Without Electronics

Humans have always relied on technology. Primative hunting tools are a form of technology. So is the wheel, canning, glass making, etc. 

By the way, the Amish are not opposed to tech. They are opposed to relying on outsiders. That means hooking up to the grid. Many now use power tools that are connected to independent power source. 

By the way power tools are tech as well. Are you sad about our reliance on them?  Could you build a house with Primative tools? Sure, but it will take you much longer. 

I check Google maps every time I leave the office. Not because I don't know the way, but to check traffic and get the best route. 

Can you use a slide rule? Most engineers can't. Should we? No. We have our tech. 

16 minutes ago, zil said:

OK, now this is a problem.  Everyone should be taught how to operate a vehicle in reverse.  I never pull forward into a parking space, nor my garage.  Being able to drive backward is a very useful skill.  Especially if you want to do a J turn. ;)   Even more useful is knowing where your car begins and ends (and where the objects around you begin and end).

So, my husband's car has this new-fangled thing on his side mirrors that light up when it is not safe to shift lanes.  So then he goes and drives my car... I don't have that thingee... and one time, he forgot he was driving my car and not his so he changed lanes without checking his blind-side because the "light was off".  He got honked at by an old woman and that embarrassed him enough that he never forgot again.  Hah hah.

6 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

Humans have always relied on technology. Primative hunting tools are a form of technology. So is the wheel, canning, glass making, etc. 

By the way, the Amish are not opposed to tech. They are opposed to relying on outsiders. That means hooking up to the grid. Many now use power tools that are connected to independent power source. 

By the way power tools are tech as well. Are you sad about our reliance on them?  Could you build a house with Primative tools? Sure, but it will take you much longer. 

I check Google maps every time I leave the office. Not because I don't know the way, but to check traffic and get the best route. 

Can you use a slide rule? Most engineers can't. Should we? No. We have our tech. 

Read my second post for additional commentary.  I believe I addressed all that.

BTW, I can use a slide rule.  AND I can also use pencil and paper.

Edited by Guest

I am a finance clerk.  Whenever I hear someone talking about ordering manuals, I try to ask the following:

1- Check the library before you order new manuals.  Don't trust the librarians to know what they have and don't have - go look yourself.
2- Think for a minute - how many people have phones?  They can get the manual for free from lds.org, and use it in class.  Instead of the twenty you want to order, how about you just order three for the two old guys who are always complaining about gubment mind control rays comin' at 'em through teh interwebs.  Because nobody else needs one.

1 minute ago, NeuroTypical said:

I am a finance clerk.  Whenever I hear someone talking about ordering manuals, I try to ask the following:

1- Check the library before you order new manuals.  Don't trust the librarians to know what they have and don't have - go look yourself.
2- Think for a minute - how many people have phones?  They can get the manual for free from lds.org, and use it in class.  Instead of the twenty you want to order, how about you just order three for the two old guys who are always complaining about gubment mind control rays comin' at 'em through teh interwebs.  Because nobody else needs one.

Don't knock the gubment mind control rays!!!

12 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Read my second post for additional commentary.  I believe I addressed all that.

BTW, I can use a slide rule.  AND I can also use pencil and paper.

But... the question is... can you use an abacus?  :shuriken:

1 minute ago, anatess2 said:

But... the question is... can you use an abacus?  :shuriken:

Aba what-i-cus?  I'm afraid I've never heard of one.  It must be a European invention.  I only use Asian inventions.

47 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I read Patriots after all.  

Respect!  /)     But you really earn your tinfoil-hat by reading The Great and Terrible series.  Written by a Mormon.  It tracks the family from the premortal existence, into their earthly existence.  Then the usual downfall-of-civilization stuff starts happening as they're scattered around the country.  

Best scene ever: One of Lucifer's angels speaking through the heroin addict, addressing the guy by the name he was known as before coming to earth.

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

Refrigerators now have cameras and monitors to view what's in there without opening the door "to save energy".

A stellar example of solving the wrong problem. The real problem is the faulty, inefficient design of refrigerators, where the cold air pours out every time you open the door. Top-opening bench-type refrigerators are the obvious and easy solution. But since Americans are used to upright fridges, that's what mostly sells.

3 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Aba what-i-cus?  I'm afraid I've never heard of one.  It must be a European invention.  I only use Asian inventions.

It's actually Chinese.  Or at least, that's where we got ours from.  It was from my great grandfather who traded with Chinese businessmen who used it in their store (common "cash register" for Chinese stores in the Philippines at the time).  Somehow it ended up with my dad who was taught how to use it and also taught me how to use it. 

xb93.80p-03-01.jpg?w=600

5 minutes ago, Vort said:

A stellar example of solving the wrong problem. The real problem is the faulty, inefficient design of refrigerators, where the cold air pours out every time you open the door. Top-opening bench-type refrigerators are the obvious and easy solution. But since Americans are used to upright fridges, that's what mostly sells.

Because, bench-type refrigerators are a pain in the bum.  The energy saving is eaten up by the inconvenience of the dratted thing.  I tossed out our chest freezer and replaced it with an upright.  Ginormous difference in convenience.

9 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Because, bench-type refrigerators are a pain in the bum.

Quite literally.  They cause over use of the gluteal muscles as well as the lower back.:D

38 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

It's actually Chinese.  Or at least, that's where we got ours from.  It was from my great grandfather who traded with Chinese businessmen who used it in their store (common "cash register" for Chinese stores in the Philippines at the time).  Somehow it ended up with my dad who was taught how to use it and also taught me how to use it. 

xb93.80p-03-01.jpg?w=600

Wondering if ... Anyone else wondering the same thing?

Edited by Guest

29 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

xb93.80p-03-01.jpg?w=600

They were using these in government stores (and perhaps some street vendors) when I was in Moscow in 1991-1994.

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

So, my husband's car has this new-fangled thing on his side mirrors that light up when it is not safe to shift lanes.  So then he goes and drives my car... I don't have that thingee... and one time, he forgot he was driving my car and not his so he changed lanes without checking his blind-side because the "light was off".  He got honked at by an old woman and that embarrassed him enough that he never forgot again.  Hah hah.

A perfect example of how technology cripples us. A driver not checking behind him because he expects his car to do so? Very, very not good. That's one reason I'm suspicious of backing-up cameras on cars.

38 minutes ago, Vort said:

A perfect example of how technology cripples us. A driver not checking behind him because he expects his car to do so? Very, very not good. That's one reason I'm suspicious of backing-up cameras on cars.

Oh, I LOOOOVE my backing-up camera.  I can get to less than a foot on the parallel parking and get into some spaces I normally wouldn't be able to without it.  Yes, I have poor depth perception.  Like, I can't go down stairs without handrails.  And, I just found out not too long ago that I can't go down non-working escalators either - even with handrails.  The lines on the escalator mess with my perception so bad that I end up tipping over.  Only way I can go down the thing is to close my eyes.

Oh, and I LOOOOVE them escalators that don't go up on them airports.  I was in an airport that didn't have it (was it Denver, @NeuroTypical?) and I audibly groaned...

Edited by anatess2

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

BTW, FWIW, If you're interested.  Ya know.

It starts with the method at 55 seconds in.

ABOMINATION!!!

Yeah...I hate books that have that done to them.  For me, they have no re-buy value.  If one plans to dump all their books, fine, but books that people purposefully tear apart and destroy...

Not something I'd ever want with my books.  Have over 5000 books, and any that I bought new, mostly look...still new...and some of them have been read completely through over a dozen times.  Those that I buy used...hopefully have their bindings still intact and pristine rather than crumpled pieces that will fall apart in the next score of years.  Even paperbacks can last for a century with the proper respect!

:)

Back on topic....

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

I don't complain about gubment mind control waves...I'm here aren't I.  I find it a pain the EXPECTATION of many of the teachers that those attending their classes automatically have (or are wanting) to look up things on a tablet or a phone rather than have a paper copy to read.  Even in classes where there are manuals I've seen this from everything from Sunday School gospel principles (and yes, the teacher COULD pick up extra manuals in the Library...instead of seeing our investigators simply wondering why everyone is looking at their phone...which can be humorous at times...but at the same time, NOT so humorous) to Priesthood where they could have made copies of the items in the library as well.

It's a cultural thing for Mormons though where I've been at. I don't know what's given rise to this type of culture as I don't think it's a common thing with the younger generation.  When I issue texts in class I normally get complaints about things they have to buy on the internet in that they are getting no hardcopy for the money they pay.  (actually, there are many facets of that.  The book store never runs out of the books if we have more students than expected and they can download it to whatever device they want, which is a plus.  I think they are complaining because it's the same price as a hardcopy, and they cannot resell it per se the same way they could with a hardcopy back to the bookstore).  They COULD get hardcopies of the stuff for my class, but normally the bookstore doesn't stock enough copies if ALL of them want hardcopy since that tends to be a losing proposition these days...at least moneywise.

5 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

ABOMINATION!!!

Yeah...I hate books that have that done to them.  For me, they have no re-buy value.  If one plans to dump all their books, fine, but books that people purposefully tear apart and destroy...

Not something I'd ever want with my books.  Have over 5000 books, and any that I bought new, mostly look...still new...and some of them have been read completely through over a dozen times.  Those that I buy used...hopefully have their bindings still intact and pristine rather than crumpled pieces that will fall apart in the next score of years.  Even paperbacks can last for a century with the proper respect!

I don't think you watched the video.  Where on earth did you get that he was tearing the book apart?

It is a technique to break in the book such that it lasts LONGER than randomly opening the book.  The process essentially spreads the stress along the spine in a fairly homogenous pattern to decrease point stresses that tend to cause the spine to crack.  With more distributed stresses, the spine lasts longer.  The binding lasts longer.

This technique was quite common back in your school days.  I'm surprised you never used it yourself.

Edited by Guest

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic