Priesthood keys story from GC

Fether

Was anyone else taken back by the story Elder Oaks sharednin General Conference?

”As a young married elder, desperately poor and feeling unable to finish his last year of college, Jeffrey decided to drop out and accept an attractive job offer. A few days later his elders quorum president came to his home. “Do you understand the significance of the priesthood keys I hold?” the elders quorum president asked. When Jeffrey said he did, the president told him that since hearing of his intention to drop out of college, the Lord had tormented him during sleepless nights to give Jeffrey this message: “As your elders quorum president, I counsel you not to drop out of college. That is a message to you from the Lord.” Jeffrey stayed in school. Years later I met him when he was a successful businessman and heard him tell an audience of priesthood holders, “That [counsel] has made all the difference in my life.””

I had no idea an elder’s quorum president could do such a thing under his calling.

1 hour ago, Fether said:

Was anyone else taken back by the story Elder Oaks sharednin General Conference?

”As a young married elder, desperately poor and feeling unable to finish his last year of college, Jeffrey decided to drop out and accept an attractive job offer. A few days later his elders quorum president came to his home. “Do you understand the significance of the priesthood keys I hold?” the elders quorum president asked. When Jeffrey said he did, the president told him that since hearing of his intention to drop out of college, the Lord had tormented him during sleepless nights to give Jeffrey this message: “As your elders quorum president, I counsel you not to drop out of college. That is a message to you from the Lord.” Jeffrey stayed in school. Years later I met him when he was a successful businessman and heard him tell an audience of priesthood holders, “That [counsel] has made all the difference in my life.””

I had no idea an elder’s quorum president could do such a thing under his calling.

This is something I believe that is direly missing even here on mormonhub.com. We far to often read statements from people thinking they know better than those who hold the keys of the priesthood to act in the offices they have been called and chosen to. They also reject the notion of this type of counsel. This also correlates with Doctrine and Covenants 121: 36 - end of section. Authority and power (individual worthiness) are given gifts so that there can be a head, and sadly this power can be abused, but when this authority and power are acted upon in righteousness we are often blessed.

The principle of "stewardship" is at play here also. When we have stewardship (i.e. parents, callings, offices, ministering teachers) we are given, or better said, gifts are now open to us that we otherwise would not have.

I will provide you an example that happened to my father and mother, from priesthood keys given to a bishop (that even on mormonhub.com there are members that would reject thinking a bishop stepped his bounds) in counsel to my parents. After two children, my parents decided to no longer have children. This was a decision they felt strong about and that they made together. The bishop, like this EQP mentioned, brought my parents into his office where he shared with them that their decision should be taken to the temple, because the Lord had different instruction. My parents accepted the counsel and then went to the temple where they received witness another spirit waited to come to their home. After my sister was born, three was enough. This same bishop, as inspired by the Holy Ghost, brought them back in and counseled once again according to his keys. My parents went again to the temple and they received witness another spirit was waiting.

Now a days, there are those who would say the bishop stepped his bounds. When the truth is, they misunderstand priesthood keys and stewardship. And anyone with priesthood keys must remember to act according to the counsel in Doctrine and Covenants 121: 36-end of chapter. The keys invite. Those who hear the invitation have a responsibility to act with respect toward the keys, and as with all things moral agency is not inhibited.

This is also why it is sad when 15 brethren, one holding all the keys necessary to run the Lord's Church, and when they act in unity -- under priesthood keys -- and members think somehow God will reveal something different to them with regards to the Church and moving it forward with more revealed doctrine, truths, or policies.

Guest MormonGator
2 hours ago, Fether said:

No, I didn't either. Do you think most EQ presidents would offer advice like that today? 

My current EQP tells a story.  He was preparing a lesson a few years back.  He was prompted, then urged, then basically commanded by the spirit to look at a specific brother and say the word "green" to him.  He said the instructions were clear and unambiguous.

So he did.  "So thanks everyone for coming, I hoped you enjoyed the lesson.  Oh, and... um... Brother X?  Um... I just wanted to tell you: Green."

Brother X teared up, and later related the story that he was struggling with faith, belief, testimony, the existence of God, everything.  So the night before, he prayed and offered God a deal.  He asked to hear the word "green", and that would satisfy him.

It sounds like a stupid faith promoting rumor-slash-internet hoax.  The kind of story that your gullible grandma shares with you in a meme on Facebook, along with the phrase "share this to 100 people or you will contract a disease".   I regularly hear stuff like that and dismiss it out of hand.  And yet my EQP told the story with utter seriousness.  He isn't given to that sort of frivolity.   He's a lawyer, who did a stint as an assistant DA. 

So, make of that what you will.

15 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

My current EQP tells a story.  He was preparing a lesson a few years back.  He was prompted, then urged, then basically commanded by the spirit to look at a specific brother and say the word "green" to him.  He said the instructions were clear and unambiguous.

So he did.  "So thanks everyone for coming, I hoped you enjoyed the lesson.  Oh, and... um... Brother X?  Um... I just wanted to tell you: Green."

Brother X teared up, and later related the story that he was struggling with faith, belief, testimony, the existence of God, everything.  So the night before, he prayed and offered God a deal.  He asked to hear the word "green", and that would satisfy him.

It sounds like a stupid faith promoting rumor-slash-internet hoax.  The kind of story that your gullible grandma shares with you in a meme on Facebook, along with the phrase "share this to 100 people or you will contract a disease".   I regularly hear stuff like that and dismiss it out of hand.  And yet my EQP told the story with utter seriousness.  He isn't given to that sort of frivolity.   He's a lawyer, who did a stint as an assistant DA. 

So, make of that what you will.

After my experiences I don't dismiss much anymore.

6 hours ago, Fether said:

Interesting post.  Thanks.

Just my opinion.

Good (and bad) advice comes in every kind of packaging.  

i'm wary of people who just point the label on their advice and are either unable or indignantly unwilling to unpack it much beyond that. 

By no means disqualifies - but i would approach something that looks and smells like nonsense with extreme caution - no matter what label the giver has attached to it.

And for the record, that advice in the example above sounds like good advice to me (and yes, i agree what i think about it doesn't matter even a little bit :)  - only mention to avoid sounding too contrary).