The Church's stand on medical marijuana, etc

jewels8

I really wish we didn't have to live in a day and age where we have to deal with some of the issues we have to deal with, but yet there are some complex issues that do need to be handled and of course, we need to be a voice to do what the Lord would want us to do and do what is best for people and society.  One of those issues has to do with medical marijuana.  Looking at some of the things that are written in the legistlation do show that  it seems to be more of supporting recreational marijuana use.  Of course, there are some that are wanting it for relieving the pain of cancer and other health issues. There is concern in Utah and other places, I imagine, as well, that opiod use is at an all time high, and the problems it causes are of grave concern.  Marijuana use, of course, carries with it grave concerns, as well.  Especially to children and teens, that are still growing, it causes irreparable damage.  It also can cause hallucinogens and passing out and other things, when not used appropriately.  I would think it has been a substance that would generally be against the Word of Wisdom.  At least, for most people, if not all.  Any medication that is used under a competent physician's care is another matter entirely, but I do get concerned when I see a formerly illegal substance being brought in as a medicine , when it has been known as an illegal drug.  In some ways, this can be a sign of the times, as evil may appear good.  I know the Church has made mention of this issue.  I am concerned about the loose language in what I have read about it being allowed to be grown for medicinal purposes by people who get it cleared with their doctor and how they just need to carry a card.  How landlords can not exclude someone from having it on their premises and how it is going to make it harder for law enforcement to enforce the law as to determine what is a legal and safe environment for kids, etc.  It can be closer to schools and churches than before, if this passes.  It will be on the Nov.  ballot in Utah, is my understanding. Their are, I guess 2 bills?  One , the church has been , someone showed, cautious about, and the other they were more against, if I remember correctly.  But I just think there could be better ways to deal with chronic pain.  Also, I was reading up about how they can determine "safe" levels of THC in a person who is driving, and its not the same as alcohol.  Marijuana tends to go to the brain more and can stay there for days or more, and its just not the same as in the blood like alcohol.  It can be in the blood, but its different and will likely only target only certain groups of users or people, and may not be an effective way to pinpoint who is safe to drive.  In other words, they really don't seem to have a way to determine that yet.  I just think that , it is sad that there is chronic pain, but I really don't know if it is really necessary to go this route to relieve this pain.  It seems to go against what is morally right and there are so many other meds, non meds, therapies, and other ways to address pain , without giving recreational marijuana users more leeway, which I think may just be opening the door more for Satan and his minions.  The more wicked this world gets, the worse off for families, society, etc.  The devil is so cunning.  We need to be able to feel the Holy Spirit.  I just really am concerned about how worse off people will be if this passes.  I'm afraid it will do more harm than good.

While I would not condone the use of recreational marijuana, I don’t see why it should be treated any differently from other potentially harmful and addictive legal prescription drugs. 

Misuse of a prescription drug is against the Word of Wisdom. Thought I don’t know how that works since illigal drugs and misuse of prescription drugs is not mentioned in the Word of Wisdom or any other scripture. 

23 minutes ago, BJ64 said:

I don’t see why it should be treated any differently from other potentially harmful and addictive legal prescription drugs. 

And that's the problem.  At least some of the people who want it legalized "for medicinal use" (probably the most vociferous of them), don't want it controlled like any other prescription drug1, which makes me think they're putting up a facade and their real goal is simply to legalize recreational use.  Any rational person who wants it treated like any other prescription should not have a problem with the controls required for that.2

1This is pretty much impossible without the feds' cooperation as it would require pharmaceutical controls (21 CFR Part 210 & 211) and lab controls (21 CFR Part 58) at a minimum.  Before / in addition to those, it would require sufficient clinical testing (this part of FDA regs I don't know much about).

2I know a lot of people don't like the FDA or pharmaceutical industry and I can understand that, but I can assure you, things would be far worse without the controls, and the controls are not as onerous as folks would have you believe (nor are they perfect, as folks rightly complain).  They may look "over the top" to outsiders, but when you understand the reasons for them, they make good sense.

It also concerns me that it looks like the Church was supporting one of the bills with a caution , while opposing another bill.  I feel that marijuana is harmful and will have devastating effects if legalized, much like alcohol does.