Does anyone have an answer to this haunting question?!

Luke

Haha you are so funny. Luke, don't let the devils get you down and fill your head with doubt of our Father's Love for YOU. Also if you are living righteously and stuck in YOUR OWN thoughts, don't be dismayed. It is easy to get overwhelmed by the uncertainty of this life, the curtain placed over our memories is thick and for good reason. We are to live by faith, to learn and grow. Believe in things we cannot see but question whenever we feel like it. "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you" 

One small simple thing, is to look around you and see everything that the Almighty has bestowed upon you. Ask yourself if a loving Father is not aware of you and your needs. You will soon realize He is there and knows you better than you know yourself. He is in your corner and will help you grow to your best and full potential. As far as entertainment and media go. I try to stay away from "garbage" media. I don't ever remember feeling particularly fond of the Twilight Zone. In fact it is my understanding that shows like that are meant to scare you and boggle your mind XD.  

@Luke "No, I am Your Father"   <-  Quality entertainment there  C;

I know I'm coming late to the opera but I get where you are coming from, Luke, and I don't really have an answer. 

What I noticed, however, was that no one really addressed the meaning of the word "lie."   Does the withholding of information constitute a lie in the divine perspective (truth, whole truth, nothing but the truth)?  What about the modification of a "truth" to accommodate our simple brains in order to bring about a positive outcome?  Is this a lie? 

Bottom line:  I think there is a lot of stuff we just don't and/or CAN'T understand because we are still little, teeny, weeny specks of ignorant dust (albeit valuable specks) in this universe of knowledge and truth.  I don't think we can even clearly define the word "lie" with our limited understanding of universal truths.  Personally, if he truly loves us, then I don't think he can tell us something that could interfere with our eternal potential.     

P.S. In regards to boredom, I got bored rolling a ball back and forth with my first toddler but then I got another child and it seemed all new and fun again. 

Edited by jdf135
clarification

7 hours ago, jdf135 said:

meaning of the word "lie."

By "lie", I mean communications with the intent to deceive or create a false understanding of reality.  For example, trying to scare someone to do what is right by telling them they will burn in hell for eternity if they don't (when in fact, you know that they won't)....that sort of thing.

I also agree it makes more sense to assume God doesn't lie....but I simply don't see anyway to get to a certainty that God does not lie.

I was summarizing in my journal what I have learned from re-reading the discussion threat and further meditation.  Here is what I came up with:

First, there are only two possible answers to the question, “Can a mortal person know with absolute certainty that God does not lie?”:  “Yes” or “No”.

“Yes”.  Here is a summary of the best arguments, evidence and testimonies of the “Yes” group:

• God is a God of Truth and cannot lie.  (But this just begs the question:  how do you know?  Because the scriptures say so?  This is a circular argument that brings us back to another form of the original question:  How do you know God didn’t lie in some of his recorded revelations?)
  • The Spirit confirmed to my spirit that God does not lie.  (This testimony holds more weight for me but still doesn’t completely convince me because, again, it brings us back full circle to another form of the question: what is to assure us that The Spirit doesn’t lie?  I know this sounds blasphemous and it is not my intent to offend The Spirit but it is a question to consider.  However, perhaps there is a type of spiritual experience or “knowing” that is so direct, clear, unmistakably true (yet indescribable in any mortal form of communication) that it permits no doubt.  While I feel I have had many experiences with The Spirit, nothing of that nature…for me I still am looking through a glass darkly, as I imagine it is the case for the great majority of church members.)
  • Of the individual nature of the Godhood and their individual testimonies.  The fact that the godhead consists of three separate beings means that they can provide independent testimony of The Truth.  The Father bears record of the Son.  The Son of the Father.  And The Spirit of both.  This argument makes sense to me, but I have not have not had such intimate experiences where I can personally distinguish a spiritual communication from The Father vs. The Son vs. The Holy Ghost.  It would seem that any spiritual experience I have had has been through The Spirit.  Also, I see no reason that all 3 could be in agreement to deceive.
  • Living the gospel will lead to a sure knowledge.  “If any man will do his will, he shall know”…I like this argument.  But it seems to me that we can’t arrive at CERTAIN knowledge until after this life.  As long as there is a veil, there is a degree of “cloudiness” and uncertainty.
  • There are other arguments, such as:  If God lied he would cease to be God….but again, how can anyone know or verify that statement.  It seems that any argument or evidence I entertain I keep running into the same problem:  I get to a question that cannot be answered with 100% certainty.  

“NO”.  Here is a summary of the best arguments and evidence to the contrary:

• Mormon theology takes us further than any other religion or philosophy in terms of what we can know and the depth and intimacy with which we can know it, but even with the Mormon methodology of seeking, reading, meditating, praying and receiving personal revelation…even this methodology cannot get us an answer to this question….it is like the event horizon of faith.  We cannot, at least not in our mortal frame & framework, get pass or see beyond it.  Like a star or galaxy moving away from us at a speed greater than the speed of light, we will never be able to detect it or “know” it.
  • There is in fact hints in the scriptures that God does intentionally deceive “that it might work upon the hearts of the children of men” so they are more motivated to repent (see D&C 19).
  • There is a veil over our spirit and intellect that prevents us from obtaining this type of absolute knowledge.
  • It may be that we can only have absolute certain knowledge when we have comprehended all things.  Because truth is one great whole, it cannot be fully understood in independent pieces.  To borrow from Pres. Uchtdorf’s talk, we cannot comprehend what elephant is until we can comprehend every part of the elephant.  And this type of knowledge is only possible in a state of godhood.
  • And then there were also responses like, “No”, but why worry about it, since you can’t do anything about it.  Or, “No”, but if God does lie occasionally it is probably for good benevolent fatherly reasons. 

My conclusion:  In a mortal state it is impossible to know with absolute certainty that God does not lie.  There may be some inescapable truth of reality that will horrify and terrorize us, but we can’t do anything about, so no need to worry about it.  Mormon theology provides the most consistent, rational and evidential argument for an intimate, benevolent Heavenly Father whose every action is for our welfare.  I will continue to hold to that belief even if I can never know for certain in this life.

Read the accounts of people who have spoken with deceased prophets, or read the accounts of people who have experienced near-death experiences and have spent time in heaven. They all report that heaven is not the least bit boring but that it is wonderful, glorious, thrilling, and satisfying.

I asked myself all of these questions and more at some point in my life. Thank goodness for my testimony of the Gospel. As far as eternal torment for straying from the path, I don't believe that. Christ atoned for our sins. We were bought for a price. If we don't repent in this life, we will suffer for our own sins. And when we are forgiven we will be given our eternal rest. The first resurrection is for the worthy to do "the work" for others, whether it be preaching the gospel and repentance to them in spirit prison or temple work and saving ordinances etc. the eighth day is when Chist will present "all the father hath given him" for our final judgement. I know we are supposed to go forward with faith and trust in the plan, and I also lke to know with certainty things that are of import. Which is why I read church books and scriptures voraciously. Also, I steer clear of most secular media, as this helps me to not be double minded. 

And if heaven is "boring" well I know that there will be no death, sickness, aging, fear, doubt, sin, hurt, pain, etc, so if joy and Christs presence is boring, sign me up!  

• pam unfeatured this topic