The Focus

Thought I'd start a somewhat more positive thread than some that have popped up here recently. 

On this, I just want to create a thread on what the central focuses of a Mormon are in life...or what I perceive them to be.  If you are Mormon and a faithful believer feel free to add and contribute anything you also feel should be a focus or add in comments on what you focus on and inspires you.

When I think of what I Focus on I think of something like a target...a circle with concentric rings around it.  In the center is the main focus and subsidiary items are the circles that encircle it.  Hence when I say 1. that would be the center, 2. would be the ring around that center, 3. would be the ring around that and so forth.

1. We have a loving Heavenly Father who loves us.  He is our God.  He sent his son, Jesus Christ to atone for our sins.  Jesus Christ is our Savior and the Savior of the World.  Because of his atonement we can return to live with our Heavenly Father.  All men suffer from Sin and Death.  Jesus Christ died and was resurrected.  Because of this we are all saved from Death.  Because of his Atonement we can also be saved from our sins.  This is the central focus of our lives and religion.  We believe thus that also Jesus made it so that Adam's transgression was covered, hence we only suffer for our sins and not for Adam's transgression.   The atonement is the central idea of our faith.  Jesus Christ is what we focus on, and everything else revolves around God the Father, his son Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost. 

2.  We believe that we should love God with all our Heart, Mind, and Strength.  There are steps that help us to do this.  First, we need to have a belief and have Faith that God is good and loves us.  That he is our Father.  We need to believe Jesus Christ is real, that he died and resurrected and lives today.  That he atoned for the sins of all men, including our own.  We need to learn about his commandments, and as we learn, seek to obey them.  We need to repent of those commandments we break either in ignorance (transgression) or on purpose (sin).  We need to strive to follow him and know that through obedience to the laws of the gospel we can return again to live with him.  Among these laws are the saving ordinances that we need to obtain.  The first of these is the first step showing our willingness to follow Jesus.  This is Baptism by immersion.  The next is receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost.  We start our path to enduring to the end by obtaining these ordinances performed by those who have the rights and authority to do so.  These rights and authority are only given by Christ and a line of authority that can be traced to the Lord.  This authority is the Priesthood and only those who have been ordained under this authority to be given it can perform these ordinances for our salvation and exaltation.

3.  Jesus organized his church in his day and through it gave his gospel to the world.  We believe that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the same church today, established in our modern times, as that organized in Roman times.  That the Priesthood that was given in Christ's original church is the same priesthood authority that we exercise today, and through that authority prophets and apostles along with other priesthood positions are established to lead his people in righteousness.  We believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet and he was given this power and authority to establish a church and to translate another Testament of Christ.  This Testament is called the Book of Mormon.  As a prophet Joseph Smith also was given the keys and authority to translate and prophesy in other ways and with other messages.  Mormons know that we have a Prophet today and that communication with the Lord and heaven continues today to guide us and his church.  We also feel that all those who are part of the Priesthood can receive revelation for that which they are given authority to preside over, and that those who have the gift of the Holy Ghost can receive personal revelation and guidance in their personal lives. 

4.  We are to love our neighbors as ourselves.  We are to treat them as we would have been treated, and that part of this is to wish to share with them the gospel and see them receive exaltation in their own right as well as the blessings of the gospel in their lives today.  In this we also seek to do work for those who are unable to receive this in this life, that those who have passed on may have the opportunity to also hear and receive the gospel if they are willing.  This is why we do Temple work.  It is purely because we are trying to express our love for all of our fellow brothers and sisters whether they are in the church or outside of it. 

I think these are some of the very central tenets of the gospel and the church today.  I think these are some of the most important items that Mormons focus on.  I think that there are many novelties and miscellaneous trivial items that we tend to focus on far too much.  If we focus on them to the degree that they cause us to forget the things above, they can actually become a detriment and hindrance to our testimonies and focus as Mormons rather than something that enlightens us. 

When we have problems or things of a lesser manner that threaten our testimonies or belief, I think that we need to take a step back, take a time out, and refocus on the things that are important (such as I listed above).  Start with the central tenet (#1 above) and then SLOWLY (in otherwords, focus on #1 for hours, days, weeks, even months until we realize how important this item is) we can expand our horizons to the other items in the circle of our focus.  We always need to remember that our focus in life and our religion is our Lord and Savior and also his Father and our Father that loves us and care about us.

I'm hoping others have just as inspiring (or hopefully even more inspiring) words to share with us in this thread and make this an uplifting thread that brings about good feelings for the gospel and a refocus on what we find important as Mormons.

12 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Thought I'd start a somewhat more positive thread than some that have popped up here recently. 

On this, I just want to create a thread on what the central focuses of a Mormon are in life...or what I perceive them to be.  If you are Mormon and a faithful believer feel free to add and contribute anything you also feel should be a focus or add in comments on what you focus on and inspires you.

When I think of what I Focus on I think of something like a target...a circle with concentric rings around it.  In the center is the main focus and subsidiary items are the circles that encircle it.  Hence when I say 1. that would be the center, 2. would be the ring around that center, 3. would be the ring around that and so forth.

1. We have a loving Heavenly Father who loves us.  He is our God.  He sent his son, Jesus Christ to atone for our sins.  Jesus Christ is our Savior and the Savior of the World.  Because of his atonement we can return to live with our Heavenly Father.  All men suffer from Sin and Death.  Jesus Christ died and was resurrected.  Because of this we are all saved from Death.  Because of his Atonement we can also be saved from our sins.  This is the central focus of our lives and religion.  We believe thus that also Jesus made it so that Adam's transgression was covered, hence we only suffer for our sins and not for Adam's transgression.   The atonement is the central idea of our faith.  Jesus Christ is what we focus on, and everything else revolves around God the Father, his son Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost. 

2.  We believe that we should love God with all our Heart, Mind, and Strength.  There are steps that help us to do this.  First, we need to have a belief and have Faith that God is good and loves us.  That he is our Father.  We need to believe Jesus Christ is real, that he died and resurrected and lives today.  That he atoned for the sins of all men, including our own.  We need to learn about his commandments, and as we learn, seek to obey them.  We need to repent of those commandments we break either in ignorance (transgression) or on purpose (sin).  We need to strive to follow him and know that through obedience to the laws of the gospel we can return again to live with him.  Among these laws are the saving ordinances that we need to obtain.  The first of these is the first step showing our willingness to follow Jesus.  This is Baptism by immersion.  The next is receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost.  We start our path to enduring to the end by obtaining these ordinances performed by those who have the rights and authority to do so.  These rights and authority are only given by Christ and a line of authority that can be traced to the Lord.  This authority is the Priesthood and only those who have been ordained under this authority to be given it can perform these ordinances for our salvation and exaltation.

3.  Jesus organized his church in his day and through it gave his gospel to the world.  We believe that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the same church today, established in our modern times, as that organized in Roman times.  That the Priesthood that was given in Christ's original church is the same priesthood authority that we exercise today, and through that authority prophets and apostles along with other priesthood positions are established to lead his people in righteousness.  We believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet and he was given this power and authority to establish a church and to translate another Testament of Christ.  This Testament is called the Book of Mormon.  As a prophet Joseph Smith also was given the keys and authority to translate and prophesy in other ways and with other messages.  Mormons know that we have a Prophet today and that communication with the Lord and heaven continues today to guide us and his church.  We also feel that all those who are part of the Priesthood can receive revelation for that which they are given authority to preside over, and that those who have the gift of the Holy Ghost can receive personal revelation and guidance in their personal lives. 

4.  We are to love our neighbors as ourselves.  We are to treat them as we would have been treated, and that part of this is to wish to share with them the gospel and see them receive exaltation in their own right as well as the blessings of the gospel in their lives today.  In this we also seek to do work for those who are unable to receive this in this life, that those who have passed on may have the opportunity to also hear and receive the gospel if they are willing.  This is why we do Temple work.  It is purely because we are trying to express our love for all of our fellow brothers and sisters whether they are in the church or outside of it. 

I think these are some of the very central tenets of the gospel and the church today.  I think these are some of the most important items that Mormons focus on.  I think that there are many novelties and miscellaneous trivial items that we tend to focus on far too much.  If we focus on them to the degree that they cause us to forget the things above, they can actually become a detriment and hindrance to our testimonies and focus as Mormons rather than something that enlightens us. 

When we have problems or things of a lesser manner that threaten our testimonies or belief, I think that we need to take a step back, take a time out, and refocus on the things that are important (such as I listed above).  Start with the central tenet (#1 above) and then SLOWLY (in otherwords, focus on #1 for hours, days, weeks, even months until we realize how important this item is) we can expand our horizons to the other items in the circle of our focus.  We always need to remember that our focus in life and our religion is our Lord and Savior and also his Father and our Father that loves us and care about us.

I'm hoping others have just as inspiring (or hopefully even more inspiring) words to share with us in this thread and make this an uplifting thread that brings about good feelings for the gospel and a refocus on what we find important as Mormons.

The problem with a really good post in a forum like this is that there is not much that can be added - pro or con - that will not in some way distract from the initial message.  Often if one wants to get a lot of comments going - you need to say something a little more on the stupid side.  For sure that will generate lots of interest.

The Traveler