New Hymn Book and Primary Songbook coming out!

Jane_Doe

I don't envy the amount of work it will be for those on committees who will ultimately compile the feedback and make the decisions what will stay, go or be added to our musical canon.

Just reading through here I can see that I agree and disagree with song selections being put out there, sometimes within the same post I both agree and disagree.

For instance, I would also love to see Come Thou Fount added, but would find it such a shame to see In Our Lovely Deseret Go. I am diametrically opposed to the notion of pulling If You Could Hie to Kolob, but would generally agree that Ring Out Wild Bells could go.

I wouldn't mind seeing something as rousing and fun as Our God is an Awesome God by Rich Mullins, but it's not doctrinally or instrumentally appropriate. I do think it could be nice to have some familiar songs that aren't in the hymnal become a part of it, perhaps Oh Lord My Redeemer or I Heard Him Come, but perhaps they don't quite rise to the standard of hymn?

I'm honestly a bit frightened at the idea of new submissions - mostly because I'm a creature of habit and don't want to learn new hymns. It will likely take years for me to feel like they belong.  I have the same problem with musicians performing live and ad-libbing little bits into their songs that aren't on a studio recorded album or when hymns are re-arranged for conference or primary presentations I've just never enjoyed it. It ruins the whole thing, it's a strange form of musical massacre that I'll never understand why some people like it.

23 hours ago, zil said:

Granted, I don't know if Phelps documented what he meant by that anywhere, but I never assumed he meant skin color - I assumed he meant "species" - as in, "the human race".  Nothing wrong with that line as far as I can tell.

You are correct Zil. Human race is what is Eternal. Although I am sure you can keep your skin color if you want or change it as you desire. Jesus is seen with earth colors (blue eyes and bronze hair) and also with white skin, white hair and amber eyes in historical documentation.

• 2 weeks later...

I see one small problem with changing the hymns.  Most members think music when it comes to hymns.  I think of hymns in terms of scripture.  I am not a music expert – I am not even that good but when giving a talk I often like to include an hymn as a quote – in essence a quote with music.

In another thread – I mentioned that I believe magic exists.  That there are three great pillars of magic – music is one of the three great pillars of magic.  Magic has the power to changes a person’s spiritual awareness, heart and feelings.  Hymns are musical scriptures – I think it is time to make hymns part of the standard works.

And note to @NeuroTypical – “If Ye Could Hie to Kolob” – There is evidence here of time dilation (forward and backwards in time) based on exceeding the speed of light.  Not only great doctrine but brilliant science before its time.

The Traveler

On 6/18/2018 at 11:39 AM, NeuroTypical said:

Oh wow - I wonder if Amazing Grace might find it's way in. 

I hope not. Unbeautiful tune coupled with obvious lyrics and a distinct undertone of traditional Christianity's Shahada ("Just speak the words, 'I belieeeeeeve, sweet Jesus!', and you too will be SAAAAAVED!").

On 6/18/2018 at 1:07 PM, Just_A_Guy said:

I’m hoping for better-quality Portuguese translations.  My recollection of my time with the Portuguese hymnal is that the translators were aware of roughly 10-15 rhyming sets of words in Portuguese; and so they re-worked the text to make the rhyming scheme somehow work within those parameters.  Even with my terrible language skills, I could tell that the resultant Portuguese translations were stylistically very unnatural and stilted, and in substance quite shallow. 

The Italian hymnal is markedly improved since the early 1980s, including some much-better reworking of translations of traditional LDS-specific hymns.

9 hours ago, Vort said:

I hope not. Unbeautiful tune coupled with obvious lyrics and a distinct undertone of traditional Christianity's Shahada ("Just speak the words, 'I belieeeeeeve, sweet Jesus!', and you too will be SAAAAAVED!").

Jeez - picky picky.  Well, if doctrinal purity in our hymnal is such a sticky point for you, I suppose this one is out too.

5 hours ago, SilentOne said:

I did... long enough ago now that I can't remember all the feedback I put in, but the most important bits align with what I posted here earlier.

• 5 years later...
43 minutes ago, SilentOne said:

I'm not certain why this is a big deal.  Is it? Did they need to make a world-wide announcement?  Did they make one when putting together the current vocals on the church music app?

There must be at least a quartet in virtually all wards who can sing at an acceptable level to be able to put something together.  And if they want a higher level of "performance" about 5% of the wards would qualify.  But that is still a lot of people in Utah alone.  Heck, just go to the BYU combined choir and ask for volunteers.

Similarly, I'd assume that they could also get a plethora of languages included in that group from the BYU choir.