Changing Paradigms

zil

(And no, I don't want nickels or pennies!)

So, some people want to solve the simple problems, like world hunger and what-not, but I'm thinking we should start with something a little more difficult.  First, let's start with the postal system - it hasn't changed in eons - Party A pays Party B to dump paper goods on Party C.  It seems to me that Party C needs more say in the matter.  Now my original new view for solving this problem was to have Party C pay the cost and thereby dictate what could be sent to him, but this seems a bit unfair since it's highly probable that Party A wants Party C to have the item at least as much as Party C wants it.  Further, Party B would probably be unwilling to deliver items "on spec".  So today I came up with a new, 2-part plan:

1) If Party C requested the item, then it's probable Party C has already paid postage (or is getting "free delivery" :rolleyes: ), so nothing needs to change here.

2) If Party C did not request the item, then, Party A still pays Party B for their services, but if Party C accepts the item, Party A has to credit some sort of account for Party C.  If Party C rejects the delivery, the Party B can return or dispose of it, as they or Party A wish.  Of course, the larger the item, the more credit Party C gets for receiving it, and if it arrives without a correct name and address (like junk sent to "resident"), then Party C gets 10x credit.

I'm thinking this could change the face of postal service world-wide! :D

Now, on to telephone solicitation.  This seems even simpler.  Phone services already have a way to charge the phone owner fees for various services.  If you're calling me, then we both have phone services and therefore we both can get charged fees.  Everything we need is already in place.  We just need to flip this around so that they can deduct money from the caller and credit it to the callee - no doubt they'll skim some off the top, but we can hardly blame them for that.  Thus, if you're a solicitor, you call my number, and I get paid for it!  I'm thinking like the solicitor can place their call, when I answer, the phone company machine asks if I'd like to earn money by receiving the solicitor's call.  If I say no, the call is terminated and the solicitor isn't charged any extra fees.  But if I say yes...well, now they're paying me.  I'm happy to let your robocaller yammer on for hours on end as long as I get my $3.99 / minute and can leave the phone in the other room.  I'm even content to let the credit go toward paying my phone bill. :D:D 

So, whaddaya think?  Shall we start a petition or something?  Maybe phone the president?

7 hours ago, zil said:

Thus, if you're a solicitor, you call my number, and I get paid for it!  I'm thinking like the solicitor can place their call, when I answer, the phone company machine asks if I'd like to earn money by receiving the solicitor's call.  If I say no, the call is terminated and the solicitor isn't charged any extra fees.  But if I say yes...well, now they're paying me.  I'm happy to let your robocaller yammer on for hours on end as long as I get my $3.99 / minute and can leave the phone in the other room.  I'm even content to let the credit go toward paying my phone bill.

Sitting around and waiting for the phone to ring could just work out to be one of my better jobs...

The part of me that finds it morally problematic to sign up for free trials of services I have no intention of ever paying for is now awake and protesting that I couldn't accept payment to listen to a spiel that I have no intention of responding to. So maybe it wouldn't make such a great job, seeing as how I'm sure that part of me would be louder if I were seriously considering or actually doing it.

4 hours ago, SilentOne said:

The part of me that finds it morally problematic to sign up for free trials of services I have no intention of ever paying for is now awake and protesting that I couldn't accept payment to listen to a spiel that I have no intention of responding to. So maybe it wouldn't make such a great job, seeing as how I'm sure that part of me would be louder if I were seriously considering or actually doing it. 

I, on the other hand, would be perfectly happy to take money from demons with no intention of doing anything except keeping that robot from doing more damage in the universe.

6 minutes ago, zil said:

I, on the other hand, would be perfectly happy to take money from demons with no intention of doing anything except keeping that robot from doing more damage in the universe.

And being a programmer, we can create our own robots to take the calls and earn the money while we're at the beach!  BRILLIANT!!!

On 6/21/2018 at 5:10 PM, zil said:

First, let's start with the postal system - it hasn't changed in eons - Party A pays Party B to dump paper goods on Party C.  It seems to me that Party C needs more say in the matter.

If someone mails me a postage paid return envelope, I tear up any identifying information and put it in the envelope.

When it gets sent back to the sender, they are charged on their account.  Imagine if 10 million people did this with any single company.  That company would be paying millions in postage and more in paper disposal fees.

40 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

If someone mails me a postage paid return envelope, I tear up any identifying information and put it in the envelope.

When it gets sent back to the sender, they are charged on their account.  Imagine if 10 million people did this with any single company.  That company would be paying millions in postage and more in paper disposal fees.

I fear they're on to you, though.  Any more, I rarely see postage-paid return envelopes - it's almost always "sign up on-line".  (I know this because I shred anything with my name and address on it - hence my hatred of people who do this.  I probably wouldn't hate them so much if good, cross-cut shredders that would take the unopened letter were cheap.)

To be blunt, people who respond to such advertising are the real problem - we wouldn't need to send it all back to them if people would just quit using these methods to sign up for / buy things.  Same with spam email - quit opening it / acting on it and they quit sending it.  What their next tack for forcibly demanding use of innocent people's time would be, I have no idea, but I'm still in favor of universal rejection of uninvited solicitation.

On 6/22/2018 at 8:10 AM, zil said:

2) If Party C did not request the item, then, Party A still pays Party B for their services, but if Party C accepts the item, Party A has to credit some sort of account for Party C.  If Party C rejects the delivery, the Party B can return or dispose of it, as they or Party A wish.  Of course, the larger the item, the more credit Party C gets for receiving it, and if it arrives without a correct name and address (like junk sent to "resident"), then Party C gets 10x credit.

I'm likening this example to God (party A) instructing Moroni (Party B) to deliver the gold plates to Joseph (Party C). It seems to me that God followed the first method you outlined, although the goods in that case were gold, not paper. It's good that God followed the tried and tested method rather than the 2nd method you propose because Joseph definetely did not request delivery of a bunch of old gold with scratchings on it..

1 minute ago, askandanswer said:

I'm likening this example to God (party A) instructing Moroni (Party B) to deliver the gold plates to Joseph (Party C). It seems to me that God followed the first method you outlined, although the goods in that case were gold, not paper. It's good that God followed the tried and tested method rather than the 2nd method you propose because Joseph definetely did not request delivery of a bunch of old gold with scratchings on it..

Did you seriously just compare God to a solicitor and Moroni to the postal service?

In Australia, a solicitor is a type of lawyer (barrister's are the other main type). In the US, I think another name for lawyer, or a type of lawyer is an advocate which is also a name/title for Jesus Christ. So yes, I think there are some commonalities between God and a solicitor. Both God and solicitors are very much concerned with the law. And as for Moroni being the postal service, it was not uncommon in days gone by for the military to be responsible for either carrying the mail or to be protecting the mail carriers, and we know from Moroni  chapters 8 and 9 that when the whole of the Nephites and Lamanites were at war with each other that the postal service continued to function, so I think that Moroni shares some commonalities with the postal service. 

2 hours ago, askandanswer said:

In Australia, a solicitor is a type of lawyer (barrister's are the other main type).

Sigh.  I knew I was going to have to add a footnote, fine print, definitions clause, and caveats about that statement.

In America, a solicitor is a demon who will take by force as much as he can get from you.

Sounds very much like a lawyer

As for Moroni and the postal service, as we were recently reminded in another post, the origins of the word angel are something to do with messenger, which is exactly what Moroni was/did when he messaged Joseph in his bedroom, and as for Christ being a solicitor/advocate, well that is exactly how He described himself in Doctrine and Covenants 29:5

5  Lift up your hearts and be glad, for I am in your midst, and am your advocate with the Father; and it is his good will to give you the kingdom

He is also our Deliverer and delivering is the primary task of postal workers