Speaking In Sacrament Meeting

mirkwood

46 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

I've been asked to speak this Sunday. 

My topic: my feelings about the country.

No. Other. Guidance.

🙂

Terrible topic, I have always been of the opinion that our sacrament meetings should be Christ centric. We are the church of JESUS CHRIST of latter day saints. When a stranger attends sacrament meeting they should hear about Jesus, not the 4th of july or family history.... we can discuss that stuff in Sunday School.

I would discuss Christ coming to the Americas and its importance in our religion or the forthcoming of the Book of Mormon and Christs role in laying that foundation. 

1 hour ago, mirkwood said:

My topic: my feelings about the country.

No. Other. Guidance.

🙂

I had a ward once where they NEVER gave Topics. They just said “pick something”. It was frustrating

23 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

I would discuss Christ coming to the Americas and its importance in our religion or the forthcoming of the Book of Mormon and Christs role in laying that foundation. 

You can find plenty of stuff on America and the constitution on LDS.org

Make sure you start your talk with "The Bishop stopped me in the hall and asked me to talk on my feelings about the country"

The follow up with a mention about looking up what country means in the dictionary.

You might want to put a reference in there about "Take me home, country roads"

Personally, I really don't like the topic.  It doesn't fit with church themes.  God doesn't care what country your from.  I find it very narcissistic to claim the U.S. is the best country.  I love living here, but the U.S. has plenty of problems.  I could find happiness living in many other countries as well.  

It isn't like you can bear your testimony that you know Trump is true...  Or that the U.S. can do no wrong...

Nor can I really say that you should love your country.   What I can say is that I have gratitude for those that sacrificed their selves for our freedoms today.  Gratitude that you have freedom of speech, religion.  Be grateful for the rule of law and those that keep us safe.

2 hours ago, mirkwood said:

1 hour ago, Lost Boy said:

Make sure you start your talk with "The Bishop stopped me in the hall and asked me to talk on my feelings about the country"

This is one instance where I believe this would be a great way to start the talk.  Be sure to end that statement with a HUGE GRIN.

I would be tempted to find a way to include this quote from President Ballard's Saturday morning conference address:

The privilege of service to Heavenly Father’s children is another opportunity to follow the example of His Beloved Son by serving one another.

Some service opportunities are formal—in our family, our Church callings, and our participation in community service organizations.

Church members—both men and women—should not hesitate, if they desire, to run for public office at any level of government wherever they live. Our voices are essential today and important in our schools, our cities, and our countries. Where democracy exists, it is our duty as members to vote for honorable men and women who are willing to serve.

This is a great section regarding this topic: Section 101

Patriotism and Love of Country -- President Benson

Nothing wrong with the topic, as you already know, as there are many avenues the spirit can direct this talk on. The land that Zion will be once again established.

Just make sure you talk about "Blue Lives Matter" cause they do. :)

2 hours ago, Lost Boy said:

Personally, I really don't like the topic.  It doesn't fit with church themes.  God doesn't care what country your from.  I find it very narcissistic to claim the U.S. is the best country.  I love living here, but the U.S. has plenty of problems.  I could find happiness living in many other countries as well.  

I vehemently disagree.  And I'm Filipino.

The US was consecrated by God to have established the Godly ideal into LAW that man is God's creation and hence liberty (that which maximizes free agency) is inalienable to every person.

This is not about "finding happiness".  This is about codifying the ideals of free agency into a man-made institution that is virtually indestructible opening the mortal world that God's people may be free to seek their path in the Plan of Salvation.  This led to the conditions that made the Restoration possible.

I don't know why Americans like to devalue the importance of the USA, not only in the world, but more importantly to God's kingdom.

3 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

Terrible topic, I have always been of the opinion that our sacrament meetings should be Christ centric. We are the church of JESUS CHRIST of latter day saints. When a stranger attends sacrament meeting they should hear about Jesus, not the 4th of july or family history.... we can discuss that stuff in Sunday School.

Au contraire.  WONDERFUL TOPIC.

1 hour ago, Anddenex said:

This is a great section regarding this topic: Section 101

Patriotism and Love of Country -- President Benson

Nothing wrong with the topic, as you already know, as there are many avenues the spirit can direct this talk on. The land that Zion will be once again established.

Just make sure you talk about "Blue Lives Matter" cause they do. :)

blm.jpg

15 hours ago, mirkwood said:

The talk is already written and waiting...

I'll share it here after I have given the talk.  

I bumped into another ward member in the stake who said they had the same topic last week.

I thought about sharing my talk.  You have more confidence than I.  I would have sent it to Pam to preview, but I think she's on vaca.