But it sure feels like it.

Guest Scott

Our ward feels the opposite.  The Elders have kind of taken over the High Priests.  We have a lot more elders than High Priest though, so it was bound to happen.

My secret confession though is I'd like the Relief Society to take over the Elders Quorum.

When I walk by the Relief Society I hear beautiful singing and music.   In Elders Quorum the elders either sound like a bunch of injured cats high on cocaine trying to compete on America's got talent or secretive and quiet mumbled words like the mob would communicate with each other if they were planning a hit while police officers were in the room.  I am in the latter group.

Plus the relief society always gets treats and handouts and stuff.

When I was Elders Quorum President, I tried to assign treats, but the elders would always forget so I would bring them myself.  It would help the attention span a little, but afterwards the room would look worse than the nursery after Toasty Oat time.

I know I am not alone and probably 99% of Elders  an relate.;)

Edited by Scott

14 hours ago, Scott said:

Our ward feels the opposite.  The Elders have kind of taken over the High Priests.  We have a lot more elders than High Priest though, so it was bound to happen.

My secret confession though is I'd like the Relief Society to take over the Elders Quorum.

When I walk by the Relief Society I hear beautiful singing and music.   In Elders Quorum the elders either sound like a bunch of injured cats high on cocaine trying to compete on America's got talent or secretive and quiet mumbled words like the mob would communicate with each other if they were planning a hit while police officers were in the room.  I am in the latter group.

Plus the relief society always gets treats and handouts and stuff.

When I was Elders Quorum President, I tried to assign treats, but the elders would always forget so I would bring them myself.  It would help the attention span a little, but afterwards the room would look worse than the nursery after Toasty Oat time.

I know I am not alone and probably 99% of Elders  an relate.;)

My husband can relate.  He's said the same thing about treats.  But what he noticed more was that our room was decorated and we get visual aids for the lessons.  They get the gym, so they can't do that and they also get last dibs on the rolling board, so most of the time they don't get one.  And we got a piano, they don't.  The HP used to meet in the chapel but now that they are combined, the HP moved to the gym with the Elders.

I tell ya, man... we women have it easy.  I haven't heard of young women being tasked with anything to do with sacrament meeting and chapel maintenance.  I say, the least young women could do is help EQ with treats, yes?  :D   And then you can get the Teachers to clean up the room afterwards.  The teachers in my ward are assigned clean-up after church.  My son gets to empty trash cans all over the building before we go home.  

If you feel like your quorum has not yet blended, I would suggest asking that it get added to the agenda for the next council meeting. The first Sunday is not a lesson (although a short training can be part of it - the ward council often reviews some portion of the Church handbook of Instruction to ensure everything is according to Hoyle) - it is a council meeting. This is exactly the sort of thing that should be discussed and followed up on regularly.

2 hours ago, mordorbund said:

If you feel like your quorum has not yet blended, I would suggest asking that it get added to the agenda for the next council meeting. The first Sunday is not a lesson (although a short training can be part of it - the ward council often reviews some portion of the Church handbook of Instruction to ensure everything is according to Hoyle) - it is a council meeting. This is exactly the sort of thing that should be discussed and followed up on regularly.

GREAT REMINDER MB!  That's exactly what the 1st Sunday lesson is for!

Last month in my little branch in the Philippines, we spent our 1st Sunday lesson in RS talking about how we pass the sacrament.  No, not how the deacons pass the sacrament.  How we - everyone else - pass the sacrament to each other.  It got a bit heated - RS Presidency says to follow the deacons and take the sacrament with your right hand and then use the same hand to take the tray and pass to the one next to you... another said, but what if we have to pass the sacrament right-wards, it's awkward to pass sacrament with your right... another said, what if your right arm is injured... show me in the Bible where Jesus told his apostles to take the bread with their right hand... etc. etc.  The RS presidency called somebody from EQ to settle the matter.  Oh my goodness, the face of that HP (he was a Stake President once upon a time) as he tried to give proper instructions among a bunch of arguing women.  I feel bad for the poor guy.  Hah hah. 

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:35 PM, Sunday21 said:

Special high council room? Comfy chairs? 

My ward demands an upgrade!

Comfy chairs - sounds more like the Relief Society.  Real men should be able to sit on rocks - outside in the weather.  What next - table cloths and flowers in vases?

The Traveler

On 8/7/2018 at 8:05 PM, Traveler said:

Comfy chairs - sounds more like the Relief Society.  Real men should be able to sit on rocks - outside in the weather.  What next - table cloths and flowers in vases?

The Traveler

I’m a no frills sort of person at church. As a man I don’t need table clothes, table centerpieces, handouts, visual aids or videos. However I do like the comfortable chairs in the high council room where we meet. I would also appreciate not being frozen in the church year round by all the fat people who insist on the temperature being what feels like about 42 degrees. I frequently have to stand between the double entry doors where it gets hot so that I can soak up some heat. The metal folding chairs we sit on in the gym during opening exercises suck all the heat from my body. 

6 hours ago, BJ64 said:

I’m a no frills sort of person at church. As a man I don’t need table clothes, table centerpieces, handouts, visual aids or videos. However I do like the comfortable chairs in the high council room where we meet. I would also appreciate not being frozen in the church year round by all the fat people who insist on the temperature being what feels like about 42 degrees. I frequently have to stand between the double entry doors where it gets hot so that I can soak up some heat. The metal folding chairs we sit on in the gym during opening exercises suck all the heat from my body. 

Long underwear! 

I haven't felt like a take over at all.

I was an elder's quorum instructor before the change and still am.

My personal teaching style is to say very little.  I'll read through the conference talk and listen to it several times.  Pick out a few things to read, but mostly write down questions.  And not just any old questions.  I like to ask questions that require thought and get people unwittingly bearing their testimony and providing personal experience in answering the question.

This does two things.  It engages people, because people are just naturally snoopy to know about other people's lives, but far more important is that it invites the spirit.

Lately I have hardly said anything at all when I teach...  Get the discussion started and then just shut up and let them teach themselves.

The interesting thing is that when I do this, I get a bunch of brothers coming up to me after the lesson complimenting me on it being a great lesson.  I always assure them that I did very little and that it was them, not me.