Would you dump this car? Ford Focus 2013

Sunday21

I bought a 2013 Ford Focus. These cars have transmission and clutch problems. The clutch needs to be replaced every 2.5 years which cost $2500. Ford has two clutch warranties which are currently paying for the clutch problem. One runs for another 5 years and the other for another two years. I considered trading in the car with Ford for a younger model but the more recent vintages have similar problems.

The car often judders, a common problem with the Focus. It cost me $150 for them to look at the car. After an initial free inspection, they told me that the car had a problem. On the more thorough assesmment,, they said that they could not find a problem.

One side of the car is scrapped. To restore car requires $1000 for paint job plus car rental for a couple of days.

Choices:

1) sell car and buy a better used car from a dealer.

2) keep car and accept that in about 2 years, I will be paying about $600 per year for clutch from now.

What would you do? (And don’t buy a Ford Focus!)

Edited by Sunday21

Guest Godless

I'm sorry to hear that. I used to have a 2012 Focus. Loved it, but it was totalled after a couple years. So I guess I didn't have it long enough to experience those issues.

I would look at trade-in options. Enterprise sometimes runs specials that will allow you to trade in for KBB value regardless of condition, and their prices are very competitive. Look for something like that.

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

I bought a 2013 Ford Focus. These cars have transmission and clutch problems. The clutch needs to be replaced every 2.5 years which cost $2500. Ford has two clutch warranties which are currently paying for the clutch problem. One runs for another 5 years and the other for another two years. I considered trading in the car with Ford for a younger model but the more recent vintages have similar problems.

The car often judders, a common problem with the Focus. It cost me $150 for them to look at the car. After an initial free inspection, they told me that the car had a problem. On the more thorough assesmment,, they said that they could not find a problem.

One side of the car is scrapped. To restore car requires $1000 for paint job plus car rental for a couple of days.

Choices:

2) keep car and accept that in about 2 years, I will be paying about $600 per year for clutch from now.

Sell it, take out a $140,000 Loan and get a Tesla Model X P100D with ludicrous mode

I had a 98 Ford Mustang for 13 years.  Loved it, but it was pretty ragged at the end.  I now lease a Fiat 500e all electric car, and thanks to California's generous cash back program for such things, I have a super low cost lease ($80/mo).  it's perfect for work but I can't go more than 30 miles in any one direction.

21 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Choices:

A car purchase is personal.  It's not just about money.

But... if you're asking about money.  That's easy.  $600 per year is super cheap compared to what you would spend on a loan for a used car... and that used car could still end up with $600 per year maintenance.

But then I'm the gal that will keep a car until the engine blows up.  My current car is 8 years old that still runs great.  I'm keeping this car hopefully until my youngest kid goes on a mission and I end up selling everything I own to live in a tiny house with a composting toilet.

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

A car purchase is personal.  It's not just about money.

But... if you're asking about money.  That's easy.  $600 per year is super cheap compared to what you would spend on a loan for a used car... and that used car could still end up with $600 per year maintenance.

But then I'm the gal that will keep a car until the engine blows up.  My current car is 8 years old that still runs great.  I'm keeping this car hopefully until my youngest kid goes on a mission and I end up selling everything I own to live in a tiny house with a composting toilet.

Thank you. This is what I was thinking.

Are you sure that you want to live in a tiny home? They tend to be smelly -even with just two people. The cooking smells alone not to mention the toilet smells can be offensive. 

14 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Thank you. This is what I was thinking.

Are you sure that you want to live in a tiny home? They tend to be smelly -even with just two people. The cooking smells alone not to mention the toilet smells can be offensive. 

I'm living in a tiny house right now... Not a fancy, rich people tiny house but a tiny house made necessary due to poverty.  I love it here.

On 7/17/2018 at 7:20 PM, Sunday21 said:

Would you dump this car?

You left out pertinent details...

Is it LoJacked?  Leave it outside the nearest chop shop and catch a bus home.

Is there a dead body in the trunk?  If so, dump it fast!  (Lakes are popular for this sort of dump.)

Was it the get-away car from your last bank robbery?  Why is it still in your possession!?  Get rid of it already!

Has an evil sorcerer from a parallel universe cursed all who go near it?  Do our universe a favor and ship it COD to North Korea.

Has a spotter lit it up for that fighter jet that's about to launch a missile in your direction?  Forget the car - run!

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:35 PM, Godless said:

Enterprise sometimes runs specials that will allow you to trade in for KBB value regardless of condition, and their prices are very competitive. Look for something like that.

I recently bought a 2016 vehicle from Hertz and was very pleased with the process and result. Also, we just bought a Ford Fusion, and it seems very solid. It's slightly bigger than the Focus, but still has a tight, snappy feel.

31 minutes ago, Vort said:

Youtube's ChrisFIx will show you how to rebuild your transmission. Save money AND have fun!

If I ever tried this approach, it would cost me tens of thousands of dollars (therapy, marriage counseling, possible divorce attorneys), and I'm not quite sure that kind of fun is kosher.

I had a 10+ yr old Honda Accord, which I drove until it crashed.  Under 300k miles.

I replaced it with like a 15+ yr old Honda Accord, which I bought from an in-law trying to get his car dealership off the ground.  Put 50k miles on it, sold it for $900 less than what I bought it for.

I replaced that one with a 10+ yr old Honda Accord owned by a BIL, that I accidentally backed up into, and bought it for a pre-crash price to make things good.  I drove until it crashed.  Under 300k miles.

Replaced that one with my current 20 year old old Honda Accord.  I've put 200k miles on it, replaced the engine once. It will hit 300k miles in a few weeks.  I'm getting ready to sell it at a buddy's car dealership, after he can find me a newer (drumroll please) Honda Accord.  [Edit - actually, that's just my hope.  Still working on details with wife.  She might want something else.]

I like old Honda Accords.  Got myself an 80 mile daily round-trip commute.  I don't want something to depreciate.  I want it to stay together and just sit there and be reliable and get good gas mileage.   #DadCar 

Edited by NeuroTypical

I went a different route than others are promoting. I wanted a late-model vehicle with high depreciation. So, I figured American large sedans were they way to go. Sure 'nuff, got me a 2016 Impala. New it runs close to $28K, and I paid $11K. It's comfortable, smooth, still has a new car smell, and the rapid-depreciation was borne by the previous owner.  :-)