Why is coffee or tea forbidden?

Here is some good background, although it doesn't really answer your question.

https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-29-the-lords-law-of-health?lang=eng

I don't think we know why the Lord counsels us to not ingest coffee and tea.  Modern day religious dietary guidelines are what they are.  I'm glad the restoration didn't re-institute all that Law of Moses dietary stuff that is today's Jewish Kosher customs. 

Edited by NeuroTypical

6 hours ago, TheOne13 said:

Why is coffee or tea forbidden but it's okay to drink things like Coke?

God specifically instructed us to not partake of coffee or tea, hence we don't do that.  

If a person wants to have some Coke, they can.  Conversely, if a person doesn't want to have Coke (because it's not good for you) they can indeed choose to pass.  Your choice.

Guest MormonGator

I know that wars have been started over Word of Wisdom issues, but I thought some organic teas were okay? Asking, not claiming they are. Nothing more. 

6 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

I know that wars have been started over Word of Wisdom issues, but I thought some organic teas were okay? Asking, not claiming they are. Nothing more. 

Herbal tea, not organic.  Herbal teas aren't really tea, such as Yerba Mate, Guayusa, and Yaupon.  There are also fake coffees like Pero and Postum.

Edited by Grunt

10 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Various common notions are along the lines of herbal ok, green/black not-ok.  I've never heard of organic ok, non-organic not-ok.  But with the pervasiveness of the organic marketing campaigns and the zeal of those who feel organic is somehow healthier, it wouldn't surprise me to discover that some mormons might think so.  (Like, the ones that shop at Whole Foods and whose brows furrow disdainfully when an SUV drives by.)

4 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Herbal tea, not organic.  Herbal teas aren't really tea, such as Yerba Mate, Guayusa, and Yaupon.

Yep - the other day someone showed up with fancy tea made out of some sort of grass that grows in Australia (or some such).  

Tea comes from tea leaves, from a tea plant.  Soaking blueberry or mint leaves, etc, in water and serving it hot, doesn't qualify as tea IMO.

Edited by NeuroTypical

2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

image.png.4581d2a6e67b3f8bf27b62eae1a944f4.png

LOL I didn't expect to see that.  Guess I've got absolutely no problems at all here.

The numbers assume that you're in perfect health, however. 

If you have a heart, nervous, or circulatory condition, it's a lot lower. 

I do indeed have a heart condition, and so between that and the bleeding stress ulcer back in '92 I'm under medical restriction anyway. 

Guest Scott

Why is coffee or tea forbidden but it's okay to drink things like Coke?

It is kind of a stretch to call drinking Coke "okay", especially since we are advised by the church not to do it.   There have been plenty of Church statements saying that we shouldn't drink it, but it is more of a warning and advisement rather than an official commandment, if that makes sense.  It would be in the category of watching a rated R movie.   Members are told we shouldn't do either, but you likely aren't going to face church discipline if you do.

Anyway, rather than state any of my own opinion, I'll cut cut one of many statments on cola drinks from LDS.org

https://www.lds.org/new-era/1972/05/policies-and-procedures?lang=eng

Cola Drinks and the Word of Wisdom

The Word of Wisdom, section 89 of the Doctrine and Covenants, [D&C 89] remains as to terms and specifications as found in that section. There has been no official interpretation of that Word of Wisdom except that which was given by the Brethren in the very early days of the Church when it was declared that ‘hot drinks’ meant tea and coffee.

With reference to cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken a position on this matter, but the leaders of the Church have advised, and we do now specifically advise, against the use of any drink containing harmful habit-forming drugs under circumstances that would result in acquiring the habit. Any beverage that contains ingredients harmful to the body should be avoided.

Edited by Scott

Guest MormonGator
On 7/21/2018 at 3:03 PM, Scott said:

It is kind of a stretch to call drinking Coke "okay",

More arguments are started over this than any other topic. Seriously. You can tell an LDS man that his mother was a ___________, but when Coke and Pepsi are mentioned, break out the swords.