Correctly Calculating Tithing

40 minutes ago, RecentConvert said:

Hello. If someone's gross is just enough to cover the basics due to say student loans and mortgage, will it be a sin to tithe less? Struggling with this concept. Thank you all.

Rather than getting bogged down in loaded words like “sin”, me put it a different way:

When you are financially stable ten years from now, how do you think you’ll look back on your current self if you tithe on gross at this period of your life?  Conversely, how do you think you’ll look back on your current self if you have been tithing on net?

I’ve traditionally tithed on my paycheck received, plus any tax refund received; which given my historical income level/tax bracket has usually gotten me fairly close—but not completely—to tithing on my gross.  Looking back, if anything I wish I’d been more careful to make sure I was tithing completely on my gross.  I don’t wish I’d been more aggressive about utilizing any conceivable “tithing dedications”. 

Edited by Just_A_Guy

On 7/23/2018 at 5:00 PM, VelvetShadow said:

Thanks everyone, that really helps.  I think for now I might just start putting aside 10% of my net income to get used to it while I'm still studying and learning about the church and deciding if God wants me to join.  I get taxed 50 cents out of every dollar on the majority of my income so I honestly wouldn't be able to do 10% of my gross.

That's great.  So, here's what I suggest... when you file your taxes, run the tax calculation without tithe (if you're like most people, you're probably gonna get a refund).  Now, run the tax calculation again and put the money you've been putting aside on the charity donations box.  Your taxable income should go down causing you to get more refund.  Now you can do some praying and see if you'd rather keep the money that you set aside or go ahead and donate all, or a portion of it, to charity and take the tax shelter.

On 8/10/2018 at 1:52 PM, RecentConvert said:

Hello. If someone's gross is just enough to cover the basics due to say student loans and mortgage, will it be a sin to tithe less? Struggling with this concept. Thank you all.

Have you fasted and prayed?  What does the Spirit tell you?

On 8/11/2018 at 3:52 AM, RecentConvert said:

It all depends on how much you want to be blessed. If you want all the blessings of giving tithing, then give a full tithe joyfully and gratefully. If you only want some of the blessings, then only give some of the tithing. You always get back more in the way of blessings than what you give in the way of tithing. 

When I pay tithing, I take the gross amount and pay on that.  I feel that God has a better idea of what that 10% should do than I do. 

I know that I have had my share of trials, and the church was there to help me.  So when I pay my 10%, I know it is helping someone in need, somewhere.  They were there for me, I am honored to be there for them.

On 8/12/2018 at 4:32 PM, pwrfrk said:

I know that I have had my share of trials, and the church was there to help me.  So when I pay my 10%, I know it is helping someone in need, somewhere.  They were there for me, I am honored to be there for them.

Tithing covers things like buildings and heat/ac, etc. Fast offerings are what help people in need. Just fyi.

17 hours ago, Grunt said:

I'd argue that someone's tithe helped me when I was in need, only I didn't know it.

You knew some of it.  The Missionary program and resources - which you've tried to get hold of several of them in a hit-or-miss fashion in the beginning of your Missionaries thread - are funded by tithes.  Big help they became in your journey when you needed them.

Edited by anatess2

19 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

You knew some of it.  The Missionary program and resources - which you've tried to get hold of several of them in a hit-or-miss fashion in the beginning of your Missionaries thread - are funded by tithes.  Big help they became in your journey when you needed them.

Exactly.  That's what I meant.  If someone's tithe hadn't put that Book of Mormon in my hand, I may not be here today.