“New” name and church identity

Fether

53 minutes ago, Scott said:

The Quakers come to mind as the name of their Church is the Religious Society of Friends.  Eventually they adopted the name Quaker since that was the nickname that outsiders knew them by.   

Thank you. This kinda proves my point. Quaker was a derisive term/nickname for Fox (by antis). Religious Society of Friends have adopted this, embraced this, and refer to themselves as both. If the Quakers came out and said, "We no longer want to be called by Quakers," I know how I would respond. I would respond by calling them Religious Society of Friends.

Antis wouldn't care and would continue to use the term Quakers. That is the point being made.

3 hours ago, MormonGator said:

I think the term "Mormon" is so engrained in our culture that non members will use it for decades. Not just antis either. 

It's so ingrained in our culture that members will use it for some time too. I, personally, still have to constantly correct myself in conversations with fellow Morm...um...I mean Latter-day Saints.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

Interestingly the term Christian was given to early Saints by non believers. It was originally given to them by the powers that be in Antioch (Acts 11:26). However, unlike Mormon or Quaker the term Christian immediately idientifies a person as a disciple of Christ.

It's going to take me a little while to stop using the wrong term entirely due to accidental slips of the tongue, but I don't have a problem changing myself. President Nelson was clear that the Lord was displeased with the nickname and that is enough for me to keep trying until the new ways of refering to Christ's church and his disciples are second nature to me. I may not change the way the outside world is refering to us, but the Lord will be pleased with my own efforts to follow his commandments.

Edited by Midwest LDS

14 hours ago, Midwest LDS said:

Interestingly the term Christian was given to early Saints by non believers. It was originally given to them by the powers that be in Antioch (Acts 11:26). However, unlike Mormon or Quaker the term Christian immediately idientifies a person as a disciple of Christ.

It's going to take me a little while to stop using the wrong term entirely due to accidental slips of the tongue, but I don't have a problem changing myself. President Nelson was clear that the Lord was displeased with the nickname and that is enough for me to keep trying until the new ways of refering to Christ's church and his disciples are second nature to me. I may not change the way the outside world is refering to us, but the Lord will be pleased with my own efforts to follow his commandments.

And "Christian" was also a derisive term used by enemies of the early Church.  But they adopted it for the same reason we adopted "Mormon."  Yet the title that the Lord had us use both modern and ancient is "Saint".

I was having lunch with a friend of mine recently.  He asked about the hullabaloo about the name of our Church.  My response was:

I was at a service project in Denver a while back when the Mayor of Denver said that "of all the people who have helped us in this great endeavor, we need to thank two groups in particular:  The first is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The second is the Mormons."

When I heard that I really had to wonder how much we've failed at the dissemination of our name to the outside world.

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

And "Christian" was also a derisive term used by enemies of the early Church.  But they adopted it for the same reason we adopted "Mormon."  Yet the title that the Lord had us use both modern and ancient is "Saint".

I was having lunch with a friend of mine recently.  He asked about the hullabaloo about the name of our Church.  My response was:

Excellent points. It does seem to be part of the human condition to adopt slurs and make them your own, Christian being one of the more famous examples of course.

I know this is still confusing for non members and I expect it will be for a while, especially until members like me get the new terms straight. Once we become consistent (it'll be some time still I'm sure) there will be less examples of the confusion you saw I believe.

Edited by Midwest LDS

On 1/4/2019 at 10:57 AM, Scott said:

Is anyone else still struggling with this?   

Nope. After listening to 40 hours of rap a solution just came to me.

Me: Whats up my Mormon, you going to the Christmas party tonight?
Friend: Going?! I'm dressing up as Santa!
Me: Mormon please! No way you're playing Jolly St. Nick!
Friend: <laughs and leaves>
Coworker: Hey I didn't know you were Mormon.
Me: Easy on the hate speech brother.
Coworker: Hate speech? Didn't you just say-
Me: That's our word. I'm a Mormon. He's a Mormon-
Coworker: No, I get that. In fact my brother-in-law is--
Me: <intense Mormon stare daring him to finish>
Coworker: .... You know what, nevermind. What would you prefer to be called?
Me: Mordorbund. But if you're talking about us as a group you can call us Latter-day Saints, or members of the Church of Latter-day Saints.

Edited by mordorbund

5 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

Nope. After listening to 40 hours of rap a solution just came to me.

Speaking of rap, it's sad that the Mormon Rap is now obsolete.

Does anyone else remember hearing this is seminary?