Use these ‘Cheats’ to Understand Isaiah

It won't be too many Gospel Doctrine classes into the future that we are into Isaiah again, and you well-remember what torture it was the last time you tried it. I have to admit that Isaiah is not a huge problem for me for 3 reasons: I'm Jewish and think like a Jewish person. I'm a well-trained poet (who's had writer's block for some years now). I lived in Israel for 8 years and know some Hebrew. So that's all you have to do to understand Isaiah. If these three things seem unattainable, then listen to this podcast in which Laura Harris Hales discusses tips for understanding Old Testament Isaiah with Joseph M. Spencer, author of The Vision of All: Twenty-five Lectures on Isaiah in Nephi’s Record. It's because Nephi chose to include some Isaiah chapters in the Book of Mormon that Isaiah holds special importance for Latter-day Saints. Never mind that the Savior Himself spoke often of the necessity to read and understand Isaiah. Spencer suggests four strategies for a serious study of...

View the full article

The one time Isaiah was plain to my understanding was when I prayed for help to understand before each & every time I read.  It was such an eye opening experience!  The teacher & I had great classroom discussions.  Isaiah was so easily understood, I marveled how shrouded his writings had been prior (and since).  I’m definitely going to use prayer as a tool this time through.

Edited by Returning
Spelling