What name would you choose?

pam

What name would you choose to replace Mormon Hub?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What name would you choose to replace Mormon Hub?

• The Spoken Ward
    • Third Hour
    • Last Ward
    • Rolling Forth
    • Ward to the Wise

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

Former Mormon Hub

That's for ex-members. ;)

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

Mormons for Christ

Implies some of us aren't (for Christ).

Personally, I don't like the idea of the Lord's name in a URL or site name - seems like it would cause too-casual use of his name.  But that's me.

I like MormonHub too, but I'm very glad that the owners decided to follow the prophet's counsel to not refer to the Church or its members as "Mormon":

When referring to Church members, the terms "members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" or "Latter-day Saints" are preferred. We ask that the term "Mormons" not be used.

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/style-guide

I always think of "MormonHub" as a central / gathering place for members of the Church, thus replacing "Mormon" with "Latter-day Saint" is the closest way to adhere to the guidelines: Latter-daySaint(s)Hub.

Even if it's not so obvious to people who are not members, (a) it's still unique to us (as far as I know), (b) it shows that we follow the counsel of the prophet, and (c) it helps make "Latter-day Saint" more common, thus increasing the chance others will use it.  This seems like a more-than-worthwhile effort.

On 9/17/2018 at 2:18 PM, pam said:

Can't use the name Mormon.

I was thinking that was what it was about.

Doesn't this fall in the category of proper nouns like "Mormon Tabernacle Choir"?

If you take "Mormon" and "LDS" out of the title, you will have to do some pretty hard search engine manipulation to get traffic to the site.

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, zil said:

:crackup: I like it!

KolobHub

KolobCentral

Hieing to Kolob  (or Hying to Kolob, if you must)

I'd prefer kolobcentral.

If we're going for traffic by name, then... latter-day(something) is probably best.

Latter-day discussions was mentioned.

Latter-day forum (pretty straight forward).

Latter-day threads

Latter-day questions

Latter-day assembly, colloquium, gathering...

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, Vort said:

I take all the "kolob*" suggestions as jokey. If any of them are meant seriously...I strongly disagree.

I thought kolobcentral made a lot of sense. It is uniquely part of the faith and easily recognized. 

Would you care to expound a bit von your distaste for it?

We could also go for deseret forums or hub or...

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Would you care to expound a bit von your distaste for it?

The antiMormons have poisoned that well. Fair or not, using "kolob" in the site's name marks it as the home of fringe elements and evokes all the bizarre and dishonest antiMormon claims against us.

I like the idea of using "Deseret" in the name, though it's sure that many (especially non-members, but also some members) will assume the site owners misspelled "desert".

Now that I think about it, remember a while back I was wondering why the word deseret was transliterated rather than translated when it wasn't a proper noun or a unique item?

Zil joked that it was because we can use it in proper nouns.  We had a discussion about its use.

I believe the use of "deseret" would be highly appropriate.

Just now, Vort said:

I like the idea of using "Deseret" in the name, though it's sure that many (especially non-members, but also some members) will assume the site owners misspelled "desert". 

Nonsense.  We're the ones who can't have a simple meeting without cookies and Jell-o.  They'd assume it was misspelled dessert!

The antiMormons have poisoned that well. Fair or not, using "kolob" in the site's name marks it as the home of fringe elements and evokes all the bizarre and dishonest antiMormon claims against us.

Fair enough.

That will drive traffic

6 minutes ago, Vort said:

Fair enough.

That will drive traffic

• pam unpinned this topic