Predictions on policy changes during conference?

mikbone

Now in classical argumentative and condescending fashion let us all accuse those wishing for longer church of being uninspired, and then let us accuse those advocating for two-hour church of being slothful and blame the change on them for being unwilling to live the higher law of three-hour meetings 😋

Perhaps, we'll just all have to adjust and be sure we do take advantage of the additional time. My fear is that it will feel like a lot more time for about six months at which point it will become routine and the hour will be occupied with "stuff" and most everyone will be "too busy" to do ministering and so on. My suspicion is that those already doing a good job of teaching in the home will continue to do so, and I have to believe in the inspiration that this change will allow some others doing a mediocre to poor job to rise into the ranks of doing a fair to good job, I'm admittedly in this latter camp and hope to improve by getting my house in order. Our scripture "study" is currently merely reading children's scripture stories to our children at bedtime which is consistent but not terribly in depth. Maybe this can also kill the myth that ministering visits should not be done on Sundays as though being about the Lord's work is somehow Sabbath-breaking.

9 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

Now in classical argumentative and condescending fashion let us all accuse those wishing for longer church of being uninspired, and then let us accuse those advocating for two-hour church of being slothful and blame the change on them for being unwilling to live the higher law of three-hour meetings 😋

I'll one-up you. I must have missed the part where they asked for my sustaining vote with the new policy (not doctrine) of 2-hour church. I'll go start a thread about "when is a prophet acting as prophet".

10 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

I'll one-up you. I must have missed the part where they asked for my sustaining vote with the new policy (not doctrine) of 2-hour church. I'll go start a thread about "when is a prophet acting as prophet".

Are you going to hold your own alternating Sunday School and Elders Quorum meetings after the block every Sunday?

9 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

Now in classical argumentative and condescending fashion let us all accuse those wishing for longer church of being uninspired, and then let us accuse those advocating for two-hour church of being slothful and blame the change on them for being unwilling to live the higher law of three-hour meetings 

Very nice. Way to get out ahead of it and pre-condescend to them all. ;)

My 2c:

In my experience, whenever the church "changes" something it's nothing more or less than a shake-up because we've forgotten what we were supposed to be doing anyway.

There's never been a time when the emphasis wasn't about the home primarily, with the church to support. There never was a time when we weren't supposed to study the gospel on our own and with our families, and there have always been useful resources that the church produces which can help us. There's never been a time when home teaching was about delivering a monthly message instead of ministering to the needs of the assigned families.

Unless we got complacent, in each case. Which we often do.

Sure, there are some superficial differences at church which if you compare January 2019 with January 2017, but if you think about it nothing is really different. The mission of the church hasn't changed.

There are changes G-d is asking that me make within our homes.  My father would say that there are two things that  must be done to bring about change.  The first is that we must start doing something we have never done before.  I think that G-d has asked the Later-day Saints to do something they have never done before - I will leave that exercise up to the reader to ponder as to what exactly G-d is asking his saints.  

The second part of change is to quit doing something we have always done.  Again I will leave it as an exercise to the reader what we are to quit doing but I will give a hint.  I believe the women were given direction by the first presidency in their session.

After some pondering I thought to say something concerning my impression.  Sometimes it is not a particular thing we are doing that needs to be changed as much as the  motivation or inspiration (spirit) that guides our words and actions to do a particular thing.

The Traveler